John Bell (Virginia)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 87|
|Master's||George Washington University|
|Service/branch||U.S. Air Force|
|Years of service||1981-2007|
Bell received his bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Regis University. He later received a M.B.A. and Master's of Organizational Development from George Washington University. He has worked in the finance industry. Bell served in the U.S. Air Force for 26 years, retiring in 2007 as a Major.
Bell’s website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "As an Air Force Finance Officer, John received commendations and awards for cutting waste and making things run more efficiently, including eliminating a two hundred million dollar budget deficit. As Delegate, John will use his expertise to streamline government, cut waste, and save taxpayer dollars so we can focus on what matters to Northern Virginia - strong schools that ensure our kids are prepared for the jobs of the future, a sustainable long-term transportation plan that gets Northern Virginia its fair share, and a strong economy that encourages job creation and growth."
- Excerpt: "Fixing our transportation issues will be one of John’s top priorities. John believes we need to come together to solve this issue and develop sustainable long-term transportation plan that gets Northern Virginia its fair share. He’ll work to make sure we get the most out of every dollar we spend by finding efficiencies and focusing on projects that make the most impact."
- Excerpt: "As the father of five children and a high school coach, John knows education is the key to future economic success and the success of our entire region. He'll work to make sure teachers are qualified and push for improved teacher training, especially in science and math, so our children are prepared to succeed in the 21st century."
- Excerpt: "In order to protect and create jobs in Northern Virginia we need to continue to attract new businesses, entrepreneurs, and innovators. That means having a state with a highly educated and skilled workforce as well as infrastructure to support the growing population and maintain a high quality of life. John will also fight to make sure that the Commonwealth is welcoming to people of all backgrounds so employers are excited about moving or starting their businesses here."
- Excerpt: "John strongly believes that medical decisions, like the choice to use contraception, are personal and not something the politicians in Richmond should be involved in. John is strongly pro-choice."
Bell ran in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 87. Bell was unopposed in the June 11 Democratic primary. He was defeated by incumbent David Ramadan (R) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 87 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||David Ramadan Incumbent||50.3%||10,274|
Incumbent David Ramadan (R) won this seat in 2011 by only 51 votes, and donors have poured money into both sides of the race during Ramadan's bid for a second-term in this district on the western fringes of the Washington, DC, urban area. Bell, an Air Force veteran who ran for the House of Delegates in 2009, was endorsed by Democracy for America and aimed to win in this district that President Barack Obama (D) won with 56 percent of the vote in 2012. However, Governor Bob McDonnell (R) carried this district with 59 percent of the vote in 2009, and although both candidates had raised substantial sums of money, Ramadan had a significant fundraising advantage as of early September. Bell was the first of the two candidates to run a television advertisement, which went on the air in mid-September.
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 13 (2009)|
|Robert G. Marshall (R)||22,982|
|John Bell (D)||14,472|
John Bell speaks at a fundraiser with Howard Dean
In 2013, Bell’s endorsements included the following:
- Democracy for America
- Women's Strike Force
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia
- LGBT Democrats of Virginia PAC
- The Sierra Club
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia
Bell and his wife, Margaret, have five children. They currently reside in South Riding, Virginia.
- Blue Virginia, "DFA Adds VA House of Delegates Candidate to its "Purple to Blue" Program; Releases Poll Numbers," April 25, 2013
- The Richmond Times-Dispatch, "Dean group targets Va. House of Delegates seats," March 26, 2013
- The Loudoun Times, "Another Democrat announces House of Delegates candidacy," January 8, 2013
- DailyKos, "A Virginia race worth your attention - John Bell for Delegate," July 31, 2009
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Bell + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
John Bell on Inside Scoop
- Campaign website
- Democracy for America profile
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Blog candidate profile
- Virginia Public Access Project page
- Facebook page
- Project Vote Smart
- Twitter page
- Vote VA profile
- Democratic Party of Virginia profile
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District," accessed July 11, 2013
- About, Bell for Virginia, Accessed May 17, 2013
- John Bell for Delegate, "On the Issues," accessed September 18, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- Democracy for America, "Bell for Delegate," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- Virginia Public Access Project, "House of Delegates District 87," accessed October 4, 2013
- The Loudoun Times, "Ramadan opponent, Bell, hits the airwaves," September 23, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 2009 General Election Official Results," accessed May 17, 2013
- Bell for Delegate, "Endorsed by Democracy for America!" February 8, 2013
- PR Web, "Women's Strike Force Announces First Fund Distribution to Virginia House of Delegates Candidates for November Race," August 9, 2013
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Blog, "Pro-Choice Candidate Profile: John Bell, District 87," September 17, 2013
- LGBT Democrats of Virginia PAC, "LGBT Democrats of Virginia PAC Endorse 30 for House of Delegates," accessed September 18, 2013
- The Sierra Club, "Sierra Club Endorsed Candidates for the House of Delegates," August 26, 2013
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia, "Virginia Planned Parenthood Organizations Endorse John Bell for Delegate in the 87th House District," accessed September 18, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |