|New Mexico Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources|
|March 2011 - April 16, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Susana Martinez (R)|
|Bachelor's||United States Military Academy at West Point (1973)|
|J.D.||University of Notre Dame (1984)|
|Place of birth||South Bend, Indiana|
Bemis grew up in South Bend, Indiana. He attended West Point and served as a helicopter pilot in the U.S. Army for eight years. After leaving the service he earned his law degree from the University of Notre Dame.
Bemis has previously been an attorney at the State Land Office. In 2004, he was appointed Assistant Commissioner for oil, gas and minerals, a position he held until December 2010. He practiced law for twenty years, focusing primarily in the field of oil and gas law.
- J.D., University of Notre Dame, 1984
- Bachelor's, United States Military Academy at West Point, 1973
New Mexico Secretary of Energy (2011-2013)
Bemis served as New Mexico Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources from March 2011 until his retirement on April 16, 2013.
Bemis was appointed as New Mexico Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources by Gov. Susana Martinez (R) in March 2011. He was not confirmed by the state Senate until February 2012.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Bemis + New + Mexico + Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, "John H. Bemis," accessed May 24, 2012
- Office of the New Mexico Governor, "Governor Susana Martinez Announces Cabinet Appointments at New Mexico Environment Department and Energy, Minerals & Natural Resources Department," April 15, 2013
- Alamogordo Daily News, "Bemis takes helm at state department," April 14, 2012
- ABQ Journal, "Energy Secretary Wins Senate Confirmation," February 9, 2012
|New Mexico Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources
| Succeeded by|