|U.S. House, Ohio, District 16|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Ohio State House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Saint Bonaventure University (1992)|
|Master's||Webster University (1996)|
|Other||Oxford University (1991)|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1994-1998|
|Service branch||United States Air Force Reserve|
|Years of service||1998-present|
|Date of birth||October 5, 1969|
|Place of birth||Youngstown, OH|
Boccieri is a native of Youngstown, OH. He holds a bachelor's of science degree in economics from Saint Bonaventure University and a Master's in Business/Public Administration from Webster University. He also attended Sommerville College at Oxford University in 1991.
Boccieri resides in Alliance Ohio with his family. He and wife Stacey have three children.
- 2008-2010: United States House of Representatives, District 16
- 2001-2006: Ohio State House of Representatives
- 1998-present: United States Air Force Reserve
- 1994-1998: United States Air Force
- 1992-1994: Legislative Aide, Ohio State Representatives Greg DiDonanto and Richard Cordray
- 1992: Semi-Professional Baseball Player, Portsmouth Explorers
On The Issues Vote Match
- See also: On The Issues Vote Match
On The Issues conducts a VoteMatch analysis of elected officials based on 20 issue areas. Rather than relying on incumbents to complete the quiz themselves, the VoteMatch analysis is conducted using voting records, statements to the media, debate transcripts or citations from books authored by or about the candidate. Based on the results of the quiz, Boccieri is a Liberal Populist. Boccieri received a score of 56 percent on social issues and 21 percent on economic issues.
The table below contains the results of analysis compiled by staff at On The Issues.
|On The Issues Vote Quiz|
|Economic Issues||Social Issues|
|Legally require hiring women & minorities||Favors||Abortion is a woman's unrestricted right||Unknown|
|Expand ObamaCare||Favors||Comfortable with same-sex marriage||Favors|
|Vouchers for school choice||Opposes||Keep God in the public sphere||Unknown|
|Absolute right to gun ownership||Strongly Favors||Human needs over animal rights||Favors|
|Higher taxes on the wealthy||Strongly Favors||Stricter punishment reduces crime||Unknown|
|Support & expand free trade||Strongly Opposes||Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens||Unknown|
|Stricter limits on political campaign funds||Favors||Maintain US sovereignty from UN||Unknown|
|Prioritize green energy||Strongly Favors||Expand the military||Unknown|
|Stimulus better than market-led recovery||Strongly Favors||Stay out of Iran||Favors|
|Privatize Social Security||Strongly Opposes||Never legalize marijuana||Unknown|
|Note: Information last updated: April 19, 2015. If you notice the rating has changed, email us.|
Frequency of Voting with Democratic Leadership
According to a July 2010 analysis of 1,357 votes cast from January 1, 2009 to June 16, 2010, Boccieri has voted with the House Democratic leadership 93.4% of the time. That same analysis reported that he also voted with party leadership 94.2% of the time in 2010.
Washington Post Analysis
A separate analysis from The Washington Post from July 23, 2010, concluded that he votes 93.8% of the time with a majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives.
On January 5, 2013, Boccieri filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission paperwork stating his intention to run for Ohio's 7th Congressional District seat in the United States House of Representatives in 2014. The current 7th District Rep. is Bob Gibbs, a Republican first elected in 2010.
Personal Gain Index
- See also: Personal Gain Index (U.S. Congress)
- See also: Personal Gain Index (U.S. Congress)
The Personal Gain Index (U.S. Congress) is a two-part measurement that illustrates the extent to which members of the U.S. Congress have prospered during their tenure as public servants.
It consists of two different metrics:
PGI: Change in net worth
|John Bolccieri Yearly Net Worth|
|Year||Average Net Worth|
|Growth from 2007 to 2012:||177%|
|Average annual growth:||35%|
|Comparatively, the American citizen experienced a median yearly decline in net worth of -0.94%.|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Boccieri + Ohio + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Ohio's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Ohio's 7th Congressional District
- Project Vote Smart - John A. Boccieri's Biography
- Federal Election Commission
- John Boccieri's Facebook page
- GovTrack Biography
- Project Vote Smart, "John Boccieri Biography," accessed January 30, 2013
- On The Issues, "John Boccieri Vote Match," accessed April 19, 2015
- The questions in the quiz are broken down into two sections -- social and economic. In social questions, liberals and libertarians agree in choosing the less-government answers, while conservatives and populists agree in choosing the more restrictive answers. For the economic questions, conservatives and libertarians agree in choosing the less-government answers, while liberals and populists agree in choosing the more restrictive answers.
- A Line of Sight, July 2010 (timed out)
- The Washington Post analysis
- The Plain-Dealer Washington Reporter, "Former Rep. John Boccieri files papers to run against Rep. Bob Gibbs," January 28, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "FEC FORM 2 STATEMENT OF CANDIDACY," received January 10, 2013
- This figure represents the total percentage growth from either 2004 (if the member entered office in 2004 or earlier) or their first year in office (as noted in the chart below).
- This number was found by dividing each member's total net worth growth percentage by the number of years included in the calculation.
- This figure represents the total percentage growth divided by the number of years for which there are net worth figures for each member.
- This figure was calculated using median asset data from the Census Bureau. Please see the Congressional Net Worth data for Ballotpedia spreadsheet for more information on this calculation.