|Minnesota State Senate District 4|
|2011 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Profession||Owner, John Carlson Agency|
Carlson is employed with American Family Insurance and John Carlson Agency Inc.
Carlson graduated from Bemidji State University.
Carlson's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"All power lies with the people except specific and carefully limited powers granted to government by our federal and state constitutions. "
- Excerpt:"Economic prosperity is best achieved by private sector job creation. Minnesota must lower taxes on business and reduce or remove burdensome regulations."
- Excerpt:"Minnesota’s financial stability and sustainability relies on continued fiscal restraint and responsibility."
- Excerpt:"I support a vibrant education system that embraces a variety of learning environments to be determined and directed at the local level. "
- Excerpt:"Recently enacted federal health reform legislation does nothing to reduce increasing health care costs; in fact, it will serve to exacerbate the problem."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Carlson served on these committees:
- Capital Investment
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Higher Education
- State Government Innovation and Veterans
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
Carlson ran for re-election in the 5th district in 2012 after redistricting. He ran unopposed in the August 14 primary and was defeated by third district incumbent Tom Saxhaug (D) in the general election is on November 6.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 5, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Tom Saxhaug Incumbent||52.4%||21,301|
|Republican||John Carlson Incumbent||47.6%||19,362|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
|Minnesota State Senate, District 4 (2010)|
|John Carlson (R)||18956||54.53%|
|Mary Olson (DFL)||15752||45.31%|
In 2010, Carlson raised $48,531 in contributions. 
His two largest contributors were:
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Carlson + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Crosslake 2013 Memorial Day Ceremony - Northland Press
- Week in Review: Taste of Lakeville, Levy, Powerball - Patch.com
- Week in Review: Same-Sex Marriage, Paved Trails Considered at Lebanon Hills - Patch.com
- Minnesota House approves gay marriage bill after two-hour debate - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Minnesota 12th state to pass gay marriage - Washington Times
- Why JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon Is Wall Street's Indispensable Man - Businessweek
- Report card - May 19, 2013 - Bismarck Tribune
- MPR photos of the week: Marriage, kayaking, walleye and more - Minnesota Public Radio
- House passes anti-bullying bill; legislators recall personal experiences - Princeton Union Eagle
- The Arctic This Week: 04 May 2013 ? 10 May 2013 - The Arctic Institute
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Carlson and his wife Ann have two children.
- Campaign site
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
Mary Olson (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 4
| Succeeded by|
Kent Eken (DFL)