John Cooper (Arkansas)
|Arkansas State Senate, District 21|
|January 29, 2014 - Present|
|January 10, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||January 14, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
John Cooper (R) defeated Steve Rockwell (D) in the special election, which took place on January 14. Rockwell and Radius Baker advanced past Gene Roebuck and Ray Kidd in the Democratic primary. Rockwell defeated Baker in the Democratic primary runoff. Dan Sullivan and Cooper advanced past Chad Niell in the Republican primary. Cooper defeated Sullivan in the Republican primary runoff.
A special election for the position of Arkansas State Senate District 21 was called for January 14, with a primary on October 8, 2013. A primary runoff took place on November 12, 2013. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was September 6, 2013.
|Arkansas State Senate, District 21, Special Election, 2014|
Cooper ran in the 2012 election for Arkansas House of Representatives, District 59. Cooper ran unopposed in the May 22 Republican primary and was defeated by Butch Wilkins (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Arkansas House of Representatives, District 59, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Butch Wilkins Incumbent||53.7%||4,390|
|Republican||John R. Cooper||46.3%||3,790|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Cooper + Arkansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arkansas State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Arkansas State Legislature
- Arkansas state legislative districts
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Official special election results," accessed January 30, 2014
- therepublic.com, "GOP, Democrats each headed to runoff for Ark. Senate seat in special election," October 8, 2013
- kait8.com, "AR State Senate District 21 Primary Final Results," November 12, 2013
- sos.arkansas.gov, "Official candidate list," accessed September 9, 2013
- arkansasmatters.com, "Gov. Beebe Sets Special Election to Replace Recently Resigned Senator," August 28, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Election Results 2012," accessed November 7, 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "2012 Election candidates," March 8, 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed December 20, 2013
Paul Bookout (D)
|Arkansas State Senate District 21
| Succeeded by|