|Florida House of Representatives, District 43|
|November 18, 2014 - Present|
|November 14, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Profession||Small business owner, corrections officer|
Cortes's professional experience includes working as a small business owner and corrections officer.
Elections for the office of Florida House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 26, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. John Cortes defeated incumbent Ricardo Rangel in the Democratic primary, while Carlos L. Irizarry, Sr. was unopposed in the Republican primary. Cortes defeated Irizarry in the general election.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 43 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Ricardo Rangel Incumbent||48.3%||2,653|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Cortes + Florida + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Profile from the Florida House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- John Cortes on Facebook
- John Cortes on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed August 11, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "2014 Florida Election Watch - Multi-County or District Offices," accessed September 3, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 14, 2012
Ricardo Rangel (D)
|Florida House of Representatives District 43
| Succeeded by|
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |