John Hoffman (Minnesota)
|Minnesota State Senate, District 36|
|January 8, 2013 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hoffman served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment and Energy, Vice-chair|
|• Health, Human Services and Housing|
Hoffman's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "We need long term structural stability in our budgeting policy, not bogus “budget balancing” with one time quick fixes we have seen in recent Legislatures."
- Excerpt: "To constitutionally limit civil rights through an amendment is unprecedented and wrong. The amendment proposal passed last year and those to be heard this session have no merit. John opposes them."
- Excerpt: "John will fight against any more unfunded mandates and will continue to insist on local control of our schools through elected school boards. Education is a civil right, it creates equal access and equal opportunity for every student."
Paying Back the School Shifts
- Excerpt: "Billions of dollars have been borrowed from our schools. This debt needs to be paid back honestly."
- Excerpt: "I call for real efforts to create good-paying and sustainable jobs for the hard working people of Minnesota."
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
Hoffman ran in the 2012 election for Minnesota State Senate District 36. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated incumbent Benjamin Kruse (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 36, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Benjamin Kruse Incumbent||46.8%||19,522|
Comprehensive donor information for Hoffman is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Hoffman raised a total of $55,924 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 28, 2013.
|John Hoffman's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State Senate, District 36||$55,924|
|Grand Total Raised||$55,924|
2012Hoffman won election to the Minnesota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Hoffman raised a total of $55,924.
|Minnesota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Hoffman (Minnesota)'s campaign in 2012|
|3rd Senate District DFL New||$2,000|
|36th Senate District DFL New||$1,200|
|DFL Senate Caucus||$700|
|Total Raised in 2012||$55,924|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Hoffman + Minnesota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- "johnhoffmanforsenate," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 25, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Hoffman, John." Retrieved June 28, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
Dave Thompson (R)
|Minnesota State Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|