John Huerta Jr. recall, Greenfield, California (2012)
A vote about whether to recall John Huerta Jr. from his position as mayor and head of the city council of the City of Greenfield, California, in Monterey County took place on June 5th, 2012. While it initially appeared that Huerta Jr. was recalled from his seat, a recount revealed that Huerta Jr. had retained his seat. The recall effort was launched in November 2011. Yolanda Teneyuque and John Martinez, other members of the Greenfield City Council, were successfully recalled on June 5, 2012.
Reasons for recall
Huerta was accused of putting public safety in jeopardy, being an ineffective leader, and causing "damage to the City's reputation." Huerta Jr. defended his record, noting that he helped secure a state award of $3 million for a new city park.
Path to the ballot
Huerta was served a notice of intent to recall on November 18th, 2011. Recall organizers had until January 31st, 2012 to submit signatures. Signatures from 25% of Greenfield's registered voters are required to force a recall election. In February 2012, recall supporters announced that their campaign had been successful in gathering enough signatures to force an election. The election date, June 5th, 2012, was formally scheduled at the February 28th city council meeting. Former mayor Leon Dart sought Huerta Jr.'s seat in the event of a recall.
The initial recall results showed Huerta Jr. losing his seat by 21 votes. However, a recount on June 8 showed Huerta Jr. retaining his seat by a 42-vote margin. Official results, released on June 15, revealed that Huerta Jr. retained his seat.
- Monterey County Elections, "June 5, 2012 Results," June 5, 2012
- Monterey County Weekly, "Shaken, Not Settled," June 14, 2012
- Monterey County Herald, "Election update: Latest count doesn't yield many changes," June 15, 2012
- Central Coast News, "Greenfield Mayor Served Recall Notice," December 3, 2011
- The Californian, "Greenfield voters to decide 3 recall elections," May 8, 2012
- Greenfield News, "Recall for Mayor John Huerta," December 14, 2011
- The Herald, "Greenfield recall effort moves ahead," December 31, 2011