|Illinois State Senate District 54|
|2003 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Illinois House of Representatives|
|1995 – 2003|
|High school||Mount Vernon Township High School (1958)|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1959 – 1963|
|Birthday||October 8, 1940|
|Place of birth||Broughton, Illinois|
Jones graduated with his High School Diploma from Mount Vernon Township High School in 1958. Jones is a retired trucking company owner.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Jones served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Energy Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Executive Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Gaming Committee, Illinois State Senate
- State Government & Veterans Affairs Committee, Illinois State Senate, Ranking Minority Member
- Joint Committee on Administrative Rules
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Jones served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation Ranking Republican Member
- State Government and Veterans Affairs.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Jones ran for re-election to the Illinois State Senate in District 54 in the 2012 election. However, he withdrew from the race on January 4, 2012. Jones was set to face Kyle McCarter, the District 51 incumbent, in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012.
Jones was targeted for defeat by Family-Pac.
|Illinois State Senate, District 54 (2008)|
|John Jones (R)||63,944|
|Henry Kijonka (D)||27,337|
In 2008, Jones collected $206,931 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Illinois Educations Association||$31,653|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$15,077|
|Campbell Funeral Home||$9,225|
|Wood Energy Inc.||$6,500|
|Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois||$6,000|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$5,000|
|Illinois Healthcare Association||$5,000|
|Central Illinois Public Service Co.||$3,000|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$3,000|
|Illinois State Dental Society||$2,750|
|AFSCME Illinois Council 31||$2,500|
|Consumer Lending Alliance||$2,000|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$1,950|
|Illinois Credit Union League||$1,500|
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Jones received a score of 75.00 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of B- according to the IOP’s grading scale. His score was tied for the 21st highest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Jones + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Jones represented Illinois Senate District 54. District 54 includeed the South Central Portion of Illinois including Carbondale where Southern Illinois University is located.
John is married to Mimi Jones. They have two children and reside in Mount Vernon, Illinois.
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign contributions at Follow The Money
- Illinois General Assembly, "List of Illinois Senate Committees," July 28, 2009
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate detail - John O. Jones," January 4, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- WSIL TV, "Senator Jones and Senator Luetchefeld Face Off for New District 58," August 18, 2011
- Family-Pac, "Endorsements," accessed June 22, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Illinois Senate election results for 2008," November 4, 2008
- Jones Campaign Donors
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "Legislative Vote Card home page," accessed February 21, 2013
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 54
| Succeeded by|
Kyle McCarter (R)