|Minnesota House of Representatives District 5A|
|2009 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Service/branch||US Air Force|
|Profession||Environmental Policy Analyst|
Persell has worked as an Environmental Policy Analyst for Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, served in the United States Air Force, and has been a water quality specialist.
He has served on the Frohn Township Board of Supervisors, and is a member of the American Legion Honor Guard, mentor with the Leech Lake Tribal College Science, Technology, Engineering, Math Program, and a guide for Take a Kid Fishing.
Persell is married and has 3 children.
Persell's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Grow Good Jobs With A Clean Environment
- Excerpt:"Our economic future requires a clean and healthy environment. Minnesota must practice sustainable resource management, support green industries and the jobs they generate."
Make Education A Priority
- Excerpt:"Our economy depends on an educated workforce. I will champion Minnesota’s education system, including adequate funding for all education levels—early childhood, K-12, and higher education."
Fight For A Fair Tax System
- Excerpt:"Working families want a tax system that is fair. We need to reduce taxes on homeowners and require the wealthiest Minnesotans to pay their fair share. "
Close The Healthcare Gap
- Excerpt:"I will fight for affordable health care for working Minnesotans and their employers. We must fix the system that is hurting families, hampering businesses and crippling our economy."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Persell served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment and Natural Resources Policy|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance and Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
|• State Government Finance and Veterans Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Persell served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Policy and Finance|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Persell served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Environment Policy and Oversight|
Persell won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 5A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated Larry Howes (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 5A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Persell Incumbent||56.2%||10,901|
|Republican||Larry Howes Incumbent||43.8%||8,497|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A (2010)|
|John Persell (DFL)||7,744||52.89%|
|Richard Lehmann (R)||6,808||46.49%|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A (2008)|
|John Persell (DFL)||10,259||52.06%|
|John Carlson (R)||8,666||43.89%|
|Sharatin Blake (I)||758||3.85%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Persell received $25,875 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Persell's campaign in 2010|
|Cass County DFL||$1,500|
|Beltrami County DFL||$1,200|
|8th Congressional District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,200|
|3rd Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$25,875|
Persell raised $32,070 for his campaign.
Listed below are the two largest contributors to John Persell's 2008 campaign.
|Beltrami County Democrat-Farmer-Labor||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Persell + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- MN United PAC pledges support to 15 pro-gay marriage lawmakers - Politics in Minnesota
- State legislators report on session highlights - Walker Pilot Independent
- Lawmakers discuss session with Cass board - Brainerd Daily Dispatch
- Legislators completes session with balanced budget, investments in education ... - Walker Pilot Independent
- 2014 Legislature: Minimum wage, bonding and fixes expected - Bemidji Pioneer
- Innovative ideas brewing to house nearly 900 aging veterans - Twin Cities Daily Planet
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- John Persell's personal website
- Representative Persell's Webpage at the Minnesota House of Representatives
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008
- John Persell on Facebook
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Persell
- ↑ "johnpersell," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State - 2008 General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- ↑ 2008 Follow the Money's report on John's 2008 campaign contributions
Tom Rukavina (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 5A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 4A
| Succeeded by|
Ben Lien (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |
Data Practices Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |