John R. Connelly
|John R. Connelly|
|Washington House of Representatives, District 28b|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Connelly's campaign website highlights the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The middle class has always carried the greatest burden as it pertains to the budget and as it dwindles, a greater share of this responsibility falls on us. Compounding this issue is the regressive nature of the system in our state. The B&O and Sales tax are linked to consumption so when times are good and people are spending we have surplusses [sic] but when demand drops, so do our revenues."
- Excerpt: "Cradle to career, investment in education is our greatest responsibility to the next generation. We must properly fund our education. It is a matter of economics as well as national security."
- Excerpt: "Almost everyone can agree that our social safety net is a necessary right of citizenship. Although there is an element of fraud and abuse in our current system which must be addressed, but we cannot leave those who fall through the cracks to their fate. There is however a bigger issue. Due to depressed wages, an increasing number of full time workers are qualifying for these services, and that is wrong. Furthermore, many of the working poor are employed by fortune 500 companies, those companies with the greatest ability to properly compensate their employees."
- Excerpt: "Only one thing creates jobs and that one thing is demand. All the taxbreaks [sic] and deregulation in the world will not create a single job if noone [sic] has enough money to buy the product or service. Living wages address our job issue."
- Excerpt: "I contend, small business is suffering from a crisis of demand. In order to purchase goods and services from a local independent a person must be willing and able to pay a bit more. I, like many of you, try to buy local as often as I can, but as wages fall and the middle class dwindles, families in the 28th find it difficult to spend more than we have to. Even the supervisor of a minimum wage employee struggles to provide the basics. Fewer of us have the financial freedom to frequent small local business and more are forced to purchase from the low cost options."
- Excerpt: "Living wages create demand for the higher quality goods and services provided by our local stores."
Elections for the office of Washington House of Representatives will consist of a blanket primary election on August 5, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 17, 2014. Christine Kilduff (D) will face John R. Connelly (D), Paul Wagemann (R), Monique Valenzuela Trudnowski (R) and Kevin Heiderich (I) in the primary.
- See also: Washington State Senate elections, 2012
Connelly ran in the 2012 election for Washington State Senate, District 27. Connelly was unopposed in the August 7 blanket primary election and was defeated by Jeannie Darneille (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Washington State Senate, District 27, General Election, 2012|
In 2014, Connelly's endorsements include the following:
- Washington State Labor Council
- Pierce County Central Labor Council
- 28th District Democrats
- Washington Federation of State Employees 793
- UFCW 367
- Plumbers and Pipefitters 26
- IBEW 112
- Senator Maralyn Chase
- Representative Timm Ormsby
- Representative Tami Green
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Connelly + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington State Legislature
- Washington state legislative districts
- Washington House of Representatives
- Washington House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- John R. Connelly on Facebook
- Washington State Legislature
- Profile by Vote-USA
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- The People to Elect John Connelly, "Issues," accessed July 15, 2014
- Washington Secretary of State, "2014 Candidates Who Have Filed," accessed May 20, 2014
- C-SPAN, "AP Election Results - Washington State Senate," accessed August 7, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Candidates
- The People to Elect John Connelly, "Endorsements," accessed July 15, 2014
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |