John Stevens (Tennessee)
|Tennessee State Senate District 24|
|November 8, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$188/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||University of Tennessee at Martin|
|J.D.||University of Memphis|
Stevens received a B.S. in Political Science from the University of Tennessee at Martin. He later received a J.D. from the University of Memphis.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Stevens served on the following committees:
|Tennessee Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Operations|
|• State & Local Government|
|• Government Operations|
- See also: Tennessee State Senate elections, 2012
Stevens won election in the 2012 election for Tennessee State Senate District 24. Stevens defeated Danny C. Jowers in the August 2 Republican primary and defeated Brad Thompson (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Tennessee State Senate, District 24, General Election, 2012|
|Tennessee State Senate, District 24 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Stevens is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Stevens raised a total of $361,482 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 20, 2013.
|John Stevens's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Tennessee State Senate, District 24||$361,482|
|Grand Total Raised||$361,482|
2012Stevens won election to the Tennessee State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Stevens raised a total of $361,482.
|Tennessee State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Stevens's campaign in 2012|
|Senate Republican Caucus||$77,657|
|Red State PAC||$10,700|
|Total Raised in 2012||$361,482|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, first year, was in session from January 8 to April 19. In 2014, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, second year, was in session from January 14 to April 18.
- Tennessee National Federation of Independent Business: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Tennessee Conservation Voters: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes relating to conservation and environmental issues.
- Tennessee Voters for Animal Protection: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on animal protection bills.
Stevens and his wife, Elicia, have two daughters. They currently reside in Huntingdon, Tennessee.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "John + Stevens + Tennessee + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee State Legislature
- Tennessee State Senate
- Tennessee State Senate Committees
- Tennessee Joint Committees
- Tennessee state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Campaign Contributions from Follow the Money: 2012
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Tennessee Department of State - Elections, "List of 2012 Candidates," accessed July 5, 2012
- Associated Press, "Tennessee - Summary Vote Results," accessed August 2, 2012
- Tennessee Department of State, "Election Results," accessed April 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Stevens, John," accessed June 20, 2013
- facebook.com/JohnStevensForStateSenate/info, "About," accessed July 27, 2012
Roy Herron (D)
|Tennessee Senate District 24
| Succeeded by|