|North Carolina House of Representatives District 45|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Szoka attended the University of Texas-Austin and the United States Military Academy. His professional experience includes working in the mortgage lending industry. Szoka served in the United States Army from 1976 to 1996 and reached the rank of Colonel.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Szoka served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Commerce and Job Development|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Homeland Security, Military, and Veterans Affairs, Vice-chair|
Szoka's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"John has run a successful business and knows what it takes to meet payroll, meet the day to day demands of running a business and create jobs. He’ll take that experience to Raleigh to help build a job friendly climate that both encourages growth of existing local businesses and family farmers, and attracts good paying jobs to our community and our state."
Smaller, Smarter Government
- Excerpt:"Raising taxes and borrowing more on the backs of our children and grandchildren must stop. John will work to implement policies that save money by reducing and streamlining state government and let you keep more of what you earn."
Results Oriented Education
- Excerpt:" John believes educators and administrators should be rewarded for exceptional academic results delivered in the most cost effective manner. At the same time, we must provide our teachers with the tools for success and the latitude to employ their most innovative teaching methods."
Elections for the office of North Carolina House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on May 6, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent John Szoka is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Szoka ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina House of Representatives District 45. He defeated Diane Wheatley in the Republican primary on May 8, 2012. Szoka defeated Eddie Dees (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 45, General Election, 2012|
|North Carolina House of Representatives District 45 Republican Primary, 2012|
Szoka was defeated in the November 2, 2010 general election. His opponent in the November 2 general election was incumbent William Brisson (D).
Comprehensive donor information for Szoka is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Szoka raised a total of $354,487 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 30, 2013.
|John Szoka's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina House of Representatives, District 45||$354,487|
|Grand Total Raised||$354,487|
2012Szoka won election to the North Carolina House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Szoka raised a total of $354,487.
|North Carolina House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Szoka's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Republican Party||$237,302|
|Simmons, Dorothy G||$7,000|
|North Carolina Reublican Party||$5,000|
|Szoka, John David||$4,315|
|Cumberland County Medical Society||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$354,487|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Szoka and his wife, Laurie, have two children. They currently reside in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Szoka + North Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina House of Representatives
- House Committees
- North Carolina General Assembly
- North Carolina state legislative districts
- Profile from the North Carolina House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- John Szoka on Facebook
- John Szoka on Twitter
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- szokafornchouse.com - Issues
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina Board of Elections "Candidate lists," accessed March 5, 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed June 22, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Szoka, John David" Accessed August 30, 2013
Rick Glazier (D)
|North Carolina House - District 45
| Succeeded by|