|Minnesota House of Representatives District 10A|
|2007 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|Master's||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||August 2, 1950|
|Place of birth||Duluth, MN|
Ward is a Property/Casualty Insurance Agent with EPIC Insurance. He previously worked as an Emotional Behavioral Disorder Instructor in the Brainerd School System, Alternative Education Director for Independent School District 704, and an Adult Basic Education Instructor at the Northeast Regional Corrections Center.
Ward served as Mayor of the City of Proctor from 1984-1988, and on the Proctor City Council from 1982-1984. He is a member of the Brainerd Elks Club and Brainerd Moose Club.
Ward is married and has 4 children.
Ward's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"As your representative, I author, research and vote on legislation. My role as your legislator is to advocate for YOU and YOUR interests to the best of my ability and to work as hard as I can to protect and enhance YOUR quality of life."
Jobs and Economy
- Excerpt:"I will work to create and retain living wage jobs in our communities. I will encourage local economic development, which is vital for the economic stability of area families."
- Excerpt:"I will continue to fight to return Minnesota to the forefront of public education by fully and fairly funding our public school systems."
- Excerpt:"I have witnessed the impact on quality of life that the lack of access to affordable health care has. Providing healthcare for all will remain one of my highest legislative priorities."
Property Tax Reform
- Excerpt:"I am committed to a fair, progressive and balanced tax structure for individuals and businesses in which all pay their fair share. Property ownership should be an attainable reality for all Minnesotans- not just the 'American Dream.'"
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ward served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment, Vice-chair|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance and Policy|
|• Public Safety Finance and Policy|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ward served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Education Finance|
Ward won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 10A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated Chris Kellett (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 10A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Ward Incumbent||57.1%||11,789|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 12A (2010)|
|John Ward (DFL)||9,435||57.52%|
|Kevin Goedker (R)||6,924||42.21%|
John Ward raised $50,407 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 12A (2008)|
|John Ward (DFL)||13,766||64.93%|
|David Allan Pundt (R)||7,410||34.95%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Ward received $24,163 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Ward's campaign in 2010|
|12th Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$650|
|Minnesota Telecommunication Alliance||$500|
|Carpenters Local 1644||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$24,163|
Listed below are the four largest contributors to John Ward's 2008 campaign.
|Crow Wing County Democrat-Farmer-Labor||$2,000|
|6th Senate District Democrat-Farmer-Labor||$1,200|
|Aitkin County Democrat-Farmer-Labor||$1,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Ward + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Proud of Joe, John - Brainerd Daily Dispatch
- Legislature sends pared down bonding bill to Dayton - Minnesota Public Radio
- Budget in hand, Legislature adjourns - Minnesota Public Radio
- Supreme Court rejects recall efforts against Radinovich, Ward - Politics in Minnesota
- DFL Senate + DFL House = 11th hour standoffs - Politics in Minnesota
- Chief Justice Gildea dismisses recall petitions against 2 legislators who ... - MinnPost.com
- Innovative ideas brewing to house nearly 900 aging veterans - Twin Cities Daily Planet
- Area lawmakers give mixed review to session - Brainerd Daily Dispatch
- House, Senate pass bonding bill for Capitol repairs - Twin Cities Daily Planet
- Gay marriage: Chief justice throws out recall petitions against two rural ... - Pioneer Press
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- John Ward's campaign website
- Minnesota House of Representatives - Rep. Ward
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Ward
- ↑ "voteforward," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ 2008 General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money's report on Ward's 2008 campaign contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
Bud Nornes (R)
|Minnesota State House District 10A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 12A
| Succeeded by|
Jay McNamar (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |
Data Practices Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |