Johnson County, Kansas
- See also: Evaluation of Kansas county websites
- Administrative officials
- Elected officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Meeting minutes are archived for ten years.
- Meeting agendas are archived for ten years.
- A meeting calendar is available and names the times and locations of public meetings.
- Meeting videos are available.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2001 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Public records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the county manager. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A public records form is provided.
- The county discloses both that it hires lobbyists and the total amount spent on lobbying.
- Permits and zoning
Board of County Commissioners
Pursuant to the Constitution and laws of the State of Kansas and in accordance with the Home Rule Charter, the legislative powers of county government are vested in a seven-member citizen legislature known as the Board of County Commissioners. It strives to strengthen and preserve the health, safety and welfare of the community. To that end, it has exclusive power to enact, amend and repeal public policies; to levy and apportion taxes, make appropriations and adopt budgets; to establish strategic plans to guide organizational performance; and to appoint the County Manager and certain offices, boards and commissions.
|Ed Eilert (Chairman)||At-Large District||January 12, 2015|
|C. Edward Peterson||First District||January 12, 2015|
|Jim Allen||Second District||January 14, 2013|
|David A. Lindstrom||Third District||January 14, 2013|
|Jason Osterhaus||Fourth District||January 12, 2015|
|Michael Ashcraft||Fifth District||January 12, 2015|
|Calvin Hayden||Sixth District||January 14, 2013|
The county has a page dedicated to the budget, which provides many documents for residents.
|Category||Revenue||% of Total|
|Licenses and permits||$2,999,640||0.4%|
|Charges for service||$174,596,426||25.6%|
|Use of assets||$11,612,603||1.7%|
|Use of carryover||$27,965,820||4.1%|
|All revenue sources||682,018,589||100%|
|Program||Expenditures||% of Total|
|Public safety, judicial and emer. svcs.||$207,187,696||25.6%|
|Health and human services||$98,486,565||12.1%|
|Culture and recreation||$67,900,887||8.4%|
|Records and taxation||$20,095,346||2.5%|
|TOTAL PUBLISHED BUDGET||810,618,785||100%|
Since FY 2009, the county's tax base has been shrinking as a result of the economic downturn.
|Budget year||Total||% Change|
- See also: Kansas public pensions
Johnson County employees are part of either the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) or the Kansas Police & Firemen's Retirement System (KP&F), both defined-benefit pension systems. The county spent $7,603,997 on KPERS benefits in 2010 and $5,676,736 on KP&F.
The county's other post-retirement benefits plan has accrued $10,386,055 in unfunded liabilities.
Johnson County's 2012 tax rate was 23.256 mills, the same as for 2011.
Below are the estimated property tax amounts for residential homes in 2011.
|Residential property value||Estimated amount of county property tax for |
the FY 2011 proposed budget
|$100,000 residential property||$267 a year or about $22.25 a month|
|$150,000 residential property||$400 a year or about $33.33 a month|
|$200,000 residential property||$534 a year or about $44.50 a month|
|$244,000 residential property (average value)||$651 a year or about $54.25 a month|
|$250,000 residential property||$667 a year or about $55.58 a month|
|$300,000 residential property||$801 a year or about $66.75 a month|
|$350,000 residential property||$934 a year or about $77.83 a month|
|$400,000 residential property||$1,068 a year or about $89.00 a month|
ARRA Awards for Johnson County:
|Service area||Award $||Remaining $|
|Health and human services||$8,855,192||$3,616,143|
111 South Cherry, Suite 2600
Olathe, KS 66061-3421
There are six school districts:
- USD 229 Blue Valley
- USD 230 Spring Hill
- USD 231 Garder Edgerton
- USD 232 De Soto
- USD 233 Olathe
- USD 512 Shawnee Mission
There are also 11 private accredited school districts, four private non-accredited school districts and 24 independent private schools.
Johnson County transparency
Johnson County has a very comprehensive website which allows visitors to find substantial information on their Board of County Commissioners and county government news.
The Johnson County Election Office is also very helpful with online research. Each elected official, his/her term years and contact information can be found at the Johnson County Election Office website under the Elected Officials Directory.
- Johnson County official website
- Johnson County employee payroll, Kansas Watchdog
- Johnson County Courts
- Johnson County Election Office
- Johnson County Library
- Johnson County Environmental Department
- Johnson County CPA report (2010)
- 2010 census
- Johnson County, Budget, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Previous Budgets, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Staff Directory, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- County Manager, Accessed: Feb. 4, 2013
- Johnson County, Elected Officials, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Meeting Minutes, Agendas, Videos, and Calendars, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Audits, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Purchasing-Bids and Contracts, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Open Records, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Treasury and Financial Management, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Pay Taxes Online, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Lobbying, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Planning and Zoning, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- Johnson County, Building Permits, Accessed: Jan 22, 2013
- About the Board
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Johnson County, "2012 Budget Section D," accessed November 27, 2011
- 2011 Budget Summary
- Johnson County, "2010 CAFR," accessed November 27, 2011
- Stimulus Information