Johnson County, Nebraska
- Main article: Evaluation of Nebraska county websites
- Meetings posted on the calendar.
- Info provided on how to protest tax assessment. Tax levies posted.
- Meeting agenda is posted.
- County commissioners listed with contact information.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- As of February 27, 2009, budget page is under construction.
- Meeting minutes page is under construction.
- Information is not provided on building permits and zoning, audits and contracts.
- Does not say if it belongs to any Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- Does not provide how to make public record requests using Nebraska Public Records Law
- A Nebraska State Auditor, Mike Foley, says at least $31,000 is missing from the Johnson County Sheriff’s office in Tecumseh, Nebraska. An audit revealed the money, most of it cash, was under the direct control of Sheriff James Wenzl. Foley says the audit does not “confirm that the missing funds were stolen”, but he turned the results of the audit over to the Nebraska State Patrol.
- Foley’s findings include:
- The receipt book for May-July 2008 could not be located, as a result there was no
support for funds received during that time period. We were able to identify several of the amounts received from other resources in the County Sheriff’s office, but 21 receipts could not be identified, which may increase the shortage of funds.
- We noted two bonds received by the County Sheriff’s office where receipts were not written.
- The County Sheriff did not remit fees earned to the County Treasurer on a quarterly basis
as required by State Statute.
- The petty cash on hand did not reconcile to the authorized amount.
- Tax Protest
- Tax Levy
- State Audit Finds Money Missing, Nebraska Watchdog, December 15, 2009