|Joseph G. Murphy|
|Massachusetts Commissioner of Insurance|
|February 8, 2010 - Present|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||February 8, 2010|
|Appointed by||Gov. Deval Patrick|
Murphy was involved in the Massachusetts Division of Insurance prior to his appointment as commissioner. Between 2006 and 2009, he was the First Deputy Commissioner. In this position, he had oversight of operations of the division that include 130 employees and an annual budget of $13 million. He is active in the National Association of Insurance Commissioners(NAIC). He has served as Chair of the Northeast Zone of the NAIC since February 2012.
- Bachelor's degree, Suffolk University
Massachusetts Commissioner of Insurance (2010 - present)
Murphy has officially served as Massachusetts Commissioner of Insurance since 2010. He served as the acting commissioner following the departure of Nonnie Burns in September 2009 until his permanent appointment in February 2010.
Criticism over insurance rates
Murphy was criticized by some, including Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, with respect to rising insurance rates as well as rising insurance executives' salaries. Coakley's criticism of rising insurance costs came from her role in enforcing consumer protection laws. In 2012, Murphy said that he was working to balance his division's responsibility to both consumers and insurers. He cited many instances where he worked to protect the consumers against unfair rate increases, but also stated that his division has allowed rate increases when they comply with state regulations and are not overly excessive or discriminatory.
Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, Suite 810
Boston MA 02118-6200
Phone: (617) 521-7794
Fax: (617) 753-6830
Consumer Line: (617) 521-7794
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joseph + Murphy + Massachusetts + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official Commissioner of Insurance Website, Joseph Murphy, accessed October 11, 2012
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners Website Joseph G. Murphy's Biography, accessed October 11, 2012
- IFAwebnews.com Joseph Murphy named commissioner of insurance in Massachusetts, February 10, 2010
- The Boston Globe Taking heat is part of the job for state insurance chief, July 29, 2012
|Massachusetts Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|