|Oklahoma State Senate District 6|
|November 18, 2014|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||12 years total in state legislative chambers|
|Bachelor's||Oklahoma State University, 2002|
|Birthday||June 19, 1979|
|Place of birth||Ada, OK|
Brecheen has owned a quarter horse breeding operation since 2002 and served as a field representative for US Senator Tom Coburn. He also owns a motivational speaking business, Breechen Keynotes and Seminars.
He earned his bachelor's degree in Agricultural Communications and Animal Science from Oklahoma State University.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Brecheen served on the following committees:
|Oklahoma Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Public Safety|
|• Tourism and Wildlife, Vice-chair|
|• Veterans and Military Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Brecheen served on the following committees:
|Oklahoma Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Retirement and Insurance|
|• Tourism and Wildlife|
Brecheen campaign website lists several main issues:
- Legislative Pay: "Oklahoma lawmakers are the third highest part time paid legislature in the entire nation. Oklahoma state lawmakers earn over $50,000 for only four months of work a year ($38,400 plus a tax-free per diem and reimbursement on mileage), while the average Oklahoman earns only $30,000 for a full twelve months of work. Those in elected office must earn the trust and respect of the taxpayer by not accepting an easy ride."
- Education: "I watched my mother, as Cottonwood Schools Superintendent for 18 years, turn a struggling K-8 program completely around by tapping into the strengths of passionate teachers using good curriculum combined with unified discipline standards. In 2006 they were one of only 30 schools in the nation to be a Blue Ribbon School of America. Giving public schools flexibility and the best tools possible will fuel ingenuity and enable their students to excel in ways the government couldn’t dream of...Josh will also run legislation (until passed) requiring every lawmaker to place their retirement inside of the teacher retirement system in order to give incentive to make the system solvent."
- Lawsuit Reform: "A social and fiscal conservative, Brecheen said he supports lawsuit reform and workers compensation reform that lowers costs for rural businesses while benefiting employees. “You only have to look across the Red River to see where tort reform is working. Texas hospitals have increased charity care by 25% and access to physicians is drastically increasing while Oklahoma has the lowest number of physicians per capita in the nation. The average physician there has seen their malpractice insurance claims go down 30% while Oklahoma OBGYN’s have seen their premiums spike 30% plus during the same time frame."
- Water: "Downstream dependency is a major concern to me concerning the Texas angle and expert legal minds and case law will have to assure SE Oklahoman’s on this point before discussions can even be considered. Josh will fight to protect the quality/volume of the Arbuckle Simpson Aquifer and will look to CPASA for insight and ideas on how to move the ball forward. As a conservative, Josh believes in more local control and this certainly pertains to water issues."
- Agriculture: "Growing up on a working cattle and cow horse ranch and working in a family owned John Deere Dealership taught Josh the value of hard work and agriculture’s vital role in Oklahoma’s economy. Today, Josh ranches and owns a performance Quarter Horse breeding operation."
- Right to Bear Arms: "I believe firmly and will defend the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which states “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” I am a lifetime hunter and fisher and a strong advocate of that right as well."
- Jobs: "Since the founding of our country, our ancestors, with innovation and inventions, passed on greater prosperity to each generation that followed – fostered in a nation and work environment that encouraged opportunity with the goal of personal responsibility and success that would be celebrated as one provided for their family. For the past few years however, the private sector has declined from too much government intrusion, government growth, and a business killing environment created by those who do not understand nor encourage small business success, particularly in rural communities."
- Defending Life: "Josh earns a 100% pro-life rating from Oklahomans for Life. Josh choice to run on the Republican ticket centers on this issue."
- See also: Oklahoma State Senate elections, 2010
|Oklahoma State Senate, District 6|
|Josh Brecheen (R)||11,719|
|Jay Paul Gumm (D)||8,925|
In 2010, Brecheen raised a total of $247,707 in campaign funds. His largest contributors were:
|Citizens for Good Government||$5,000|
|Burrage, David A||$5,000|
|Senate Opportunity PAC||$5,000|
|Renew Oklahoma PAC||$5,000|
|Route 66 PAC||$5,000|
|Hankey, Ray Jean & Daniel||$5,000|
|Garone, Craig & Nellie||$5,000|
|Central Oklahoma Business Alliance||$5,000|
- BS, Double Major: Agricultural Communication and Animal Science, Oklahoma State University, 2002
- Attended, Southeastern Oklahoma State University 
- Owner/Operator, Cutting Horse Trainer, Brecheen Quarter Horses, 2002-Present
- Owner/Operator, Brecheen Keynotes and Seminars, 1999-Present
- Field Representative, US Senator Tom Coburn, MD, 2005-2010
- Counselor/Job Skills Trainer, Ranch 180 Drug and Rehabilitation Program, 2002-2005
- Motivational Speaker, National Future Farmers of America Organization's Advanced Leadership and Development Programs, 2001-2002
- Agricultural Sales/Trade Show Representative, Swinford Trailers, 2001
- Counselor, Kanakuk Christian Camp, 1991-2001 
- President, Oklahoma Future Farmers of America, 1998-1999
- Southeastern District Vice President, Future Farmers of America, 1997-1998
- Member, National Future Farmers of America
- Member, American Quarter Horse Association
- Member, National Rifle Association 
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Josh + Brecheen + Oklahoma + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Josh Brecheen for Oklahoma State Sentate
Route 5, Box 318
Coalgate, OK 74538
Brecheen is married to his wife Kacie. He has two step children, Micah and Makayla, and he and his wife have one son, Colt Justice. They live in Coal County.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign twitter page
- Official campaign YouTube page
- Human Events Feature on Brecheen Campaign
- Imagine Election profile
- ↑ Josh Brecheen for Senate - "Issues"
- ↑ Brecheen YouTube Channel
- ↑ Rick Santorum for President, "Oklahoma Conservative Legislators Endorse Santorum For President," March 4, 2012
- ↑ Oklahoma State Election Board, Unofficial Results
- ↑ 2010 campaign contributions
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Project Vote Smart Biography, Josh Brecheen
Jay Paul Gumm (D)
|Oklahoma State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|