Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Texas House of Representatives, District 14|
|Bachelor's||Dallas Baptist University|
|Place of birth||Bay City, TX|
Baker earned his B.A. in Political Science from Dallas Baptist University.
Baker's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Cut Taxes and Spending
- "I would vote to repeal the business margins tax that was proposed and signed in 2006 by Republican Governor Rick Perry, and filed by Rep. Jim Keffer (Republican from Eastland). "
- "I would file a bill to cut the state sales tax from 6.25% to 4%."
End the War on Drugs
- "I would vote for a bill to allow medical marijuana like HB 1491, filed last year by Rep. Naishtat (Democrat from Austin). "
- "I would vote for a bill to reduce marijuana penalties like HB 548, filed last year by Rep. Dutton (Democrat from Houston)."
Relief for Small Businesses
- "I would file legislation to reduce the power of cities to use permitting ordinances to limit and block businesses."
- "I would file legislation to repeal many anti-competitive occupational licensing laws."
Liberty for Latinos
- "I'm encouraging Latinos to volunteer for Libertarian campaigns."
- "I'm encouraging Latinos to run for office as Libertarians."
Baker ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 14. Baker ran unopposed in the May 29 primary election and was defeated by incumbent John Raney (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 14, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||John Raney Incumbent||60.2%||24,269|
|Democratic||Judy Le Unes||36.2%||14,614|
Baker faced Republicans John Raney, Bob Yancy and Rebecca Boenigk. He also faced Democrat Judy Webb LeUnes. Since no candidate received a majority of the vote on November 8, the top two vote getters--Yancy and Raney--proceeded to a runoff election.
- On October 18, 2011, candidates for District 14 participated in a debate sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.
- On October 25, 2011, candidates for District 14 participated in a second debate sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. Audio of the debate can be found here.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joshua + Baker + Texas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- electjoshuabaker.com, Official campaign website
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Satellite Spotlight, "District 14 hopeful Paula Hand out of race over bounced check," October 01, 2011
- Texas Secretary of State, Special Election State Representative, District 14, November 8, 2011
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |