Joshua Thomas recall, Wilson, Louisiana, 2010
The recall effort began approximately a month after Thomas entered office on July 1, 2009. The petition of intent to recall was officially filed on August 3, 2009. According to recall supporters, Thomas has not made an effort to work with the three-member board and often does not share information with the rest of the board. Thomas, 25, took office July 1.
Thomas' response to recall
In response to the recall efforts and complaints made by residents and council members Thomas said, "This will not detract me from moving my community forward." The mayor denied the validity of complaints made by recall supporters. The current mayor said that the city council is not left in the dark about city business. In fact Thomas argues that he "inherited" a lot of town problems when he took office: a sewer operation that is not working; grant applications for “projects being launched that would not improve the quality of life for the people;” missing financial records; etc.
Path to the ballot
In order to qualify the recall for the ballot, supporters had to acquire the signatures of a minimum of 40% of the village's 415 active voters - a total of 166 valid signatures. On October 30, 2009 approximately 206 signatures were submitted. On November 2, 2009 the East Feliciana Parish Registrar of Voters validated 175 of the submitted signatures.
Louisiana law requires Gov. Bobby Jindal to issue a proclamation within 15 days of receiving the petition in order to schedule a special election date. The Louisiana Attorney General's office issued an statement that said the petition met all of the state law requirements for an election. Shortly thereafter the governor issued a proclamation for a March 27, 2010 election.
Thomas then filed a lawsuit seeking to stop the election on the grounds that the recall petition was not handled properly. Louisiana courts, however, ruled that the election would go forward.
- The Advocate, "Broadway named acting mayor"
- The Advocate, "Mayor recall election set," December 1, 2009
- The Advocate, "Recall targets mayor of Wilson," October 22, 2009
- The Advocate, "Wilson mayor targeted for recall disputes charges by alderwomen," October 24, 2009
- The Advocate, "Wilson mayor says resentment cause of recall election," December 8, 2009
- The Advocate, "Petition to recall Wilson mayor being checked by voter registrar," October 31, 2009
- The Advocate, "Wilson mayor recall petition valid, sent to Jindal," November 3, 2009
- The Advocate, "Appeals court refuses to block vote on Wilson mayor’s recall," March 25, 2010