|U.S. House, Ohio, District 3|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Mike Turner (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Ohio House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Central State University|
|Master's||Wright State University|
|Birthday||March 12, 1950|
|Place of birth||Dayton, Ohio|
She currently works as a small retail owner downtown, and has been a professor at Sinclair Community College.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Beatty's academic, professional and political career:
- 2008-Present: Senior vice president, Ohio State University
- 1992-Present: President, Joyce Beatty & Associates
- 1999-2008: Ohio House Representative
- 1983-1992: Director, Montgomery County Department of Community Human Services
- 1983: Director, adult and elderly services, Montgomery County Mental Health Board
- 1979-1992: Professor, Capital University
- 1975-1983: Professor, Sinclair Community College
- 1973-1975: Attended Wright State University, earned a M.S.
- 1971-1975: Caseworker, City of Dayton
- 1968-1972: Attended Central State University, earned a B.A.
Beatty serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
According to Beatty's website, her campaign themes included:
- Education: "Investing in our children’s education and ensuring an affordable college education is available are the most important investments we can make in our future."
- Social security: "I will stand up to anyone who attempts to cut funding to Medicare and Social Security..."
- The Economy: "...having a good paying job is the first step in having a good life and being able to provide for themselves and others."
Beatty won the election. Beatty ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Ohio's 3rd District. She defeated Priscilla Tyson, Ted Celeste and Mary Jo Kilroy in the Democratic Primary on March 6, 2012.
The Washington Post listed the House of Representatives elections in Ohio in 2012 as one of the states that could determine whether Democrats retake the House or Republican holds its majority in 2013. Ohio tied with Pennsylvania for 9th on the list.
|U.S. House, Ohio, District 3 General Election, 2012|
|Libertarian||Richard Ehrbar III||3.2%||9,462|
|Source: Ohio Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Ohio's 3rd Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Mary Jo Kilroy||34.7%||14,369|
Comprehensive donor information for Beatty is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Beatty raised a total of $812,493 during that time period. This information was last updated on March 25, 2013.
|Joyce Beatty's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||U.S. House of Representatives (Ohio District 3)||$812,493|
|Grand Total Raised||$812,493|
Breakdown by Year
|U.S. House of Representatives, Ohio's 3rd Congressional District, 2012 - Joyce Beatty Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$25,451|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$25,233|
|Top contributors to Joyce Beatty's campaign committee|
|Ohio State University||$21,900|
|American Electric Power||$14,000|
|JPMorgan Chase & Co||$10,200|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Public Sector Unions||$36,000|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Beatty missed 0 of 108 roll call votes from Jan 2013 to Apr 2013, which is 0.0% of votes during that period. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. 
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Beatty's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $1,526,030 to $3,491,000. That averages to $2,508,515, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic House member in 2011 of $5,107,874.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Joyce + Beatty + Ohio + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Joyce Beatty: New Rep. is adept - Columbus Dispatch
- Democrats' votes on 'comp time' bill show they side with working families - Canton Repository
- House OKs halt to FAA furloughs - Columbus Dispatch
- Cordray taking punches from GOP in House, Senate - Columbus Dispatch
- Columbus Museum Of Art To Receive National Recognition - 10TV
- Rep. Stivers Introduces Bill to Permit Non-Federally Insured Credit Unions to ... - Targeted News Service (subscription)
- Thirty Essential Poetry Titles for Spring 2013 - Library Journal Reviews - Library Journal
- Rep. Ryan Introduces Bill to Redesignate USPS Facility in Ohio After Lance ... - Targeted News Service (subscription)
- Rep. Renacci Introduces Bill to Mint Pro Football Hall of Fame Comemmorative ... - Targeted News Service (subscription)
- Rep. Cartwright Introduces Bill to Allow Tax Credit for New State Licenses ... - Targeted News Service (subscription)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Joyce Beatty is married to husband Otto, they have two children.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Profile at the Ohio Ladies' Gallery website
- Ask the Candidate: Joyce Beatty complete video, October 18, 2012
- Democratic Leader Joyce Beatty profile at the Ohio House Democratic Caucus
- ↑ National Journal, "Ohio, 3rd House District," November 6, 2012
- ↑ CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- ↑ Beatty For Congress, "Issues," Accessed August 30, 2012
- ↑ Politico "2012 Election Map, Ohio"
- ↑ WOSU NPR "Filing Deadline Brings Surprises Along With Candidates," December 8, 2011
- ↑ Ohio Secretary of State "Unofficial election results," Accessed March 6, 2012
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Washington Post "The 10 states that will determine control of the House in 2012" Accessed April 25, 2012
- ↑ Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Joyce Beatty" Accessed March 2013
- ↑ Open Secrets "Joyce Beatty 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 4, 2013
- ↑ GovTrack, "Joyce Beatty" Accessed April 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org "Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio), 2011," accessed February 22, 2013
Mike Turner (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Ohio, District 3
| Succeeded by|