For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Justin C. Jones|
|Nevada State Senate, District 9|
|February 4, 2013 - November 2014|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||3 terms (12 years)|
|Bachelor's||Brigham Young University, 1997|
|J.D.||George Washington University, 2001|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Jones served on the following committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Commerce, Labor and Energy|
|• Health and Human Services, Chair|
Jones' website highlighted the following themes:
- Fighting Foreclosures: ."..as State Senator I will crack down on the illegal foreclosure practices that have ravaged our community."
- Investing in Small Businesses: ."..I believe we have the people to get our economic engine moving again, but we need to foster that growth with continued incentives and innovative solutions. We also need to ensure our workforce is educated in the new high tech, bio tech and engineering jobs of the future. We will only attract and keep businesses in Nevada if we invest in improved K-12 and higher education."
- Educating A 21st Century Workforce: ."..We must fund education so that teachers have the resources in the classroom and students have ever opportunity to excel. By investing in better schools, we will attract companies to invest in creating jobs in Nevada."
- Energy Independence and Conservation: ."..The economic benefits of protected lands can not be overlooked and we need to make sure we invest in promoting our Nevada public lands as tourist destinations. I also believe in harnessing the natural resources we enjoy in Nevada--solar, geothermal, wind. These can be great job creators, not just to construct and run the plants, but also in the manufacturing of equipment such as solar panels and wind turbines. We need to cut the red tape that stifles renewable energy development and work to create a comprehensive plan for the state that identifies locations suitable for renewable energy projects and then puts them on the fast track"
- See also: Nevada State Senate elections, 2014
The Nevada State Senate is a battleground chamber that Ballotpedia has identified as having the opportunity to switch partisan control in 2014. The Nevada Senate has a difference in partisan balance between Democrats and Republican of one seat, which amounts to 9 percent of the seats up for election in 2014. District 9 in the Senate was identified by Ballotpedia and the Las Vegas Review-Journal as a battleground district that could determine control of the Nevada State Senate. Incumbent Justin Jones lost his seat to attorney Becky Harris in the general election. Jones won election in 2012 by only 301 votes. In 2013, Jones angered many gun-rights conservatives during his first year in office, when he pushed for gun control legislation.
|Nevada State Senate District 9, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Justin Jones Incumbent||44.8%||10,116|
|Nevada State Senate, District 9 Republican Primary, 2014|
- See also: Nevada State Senate elections, 2012
Jones ran in the 2012 election for Nevada State Senate, District 9. Jones defeated Frederick L. Conquest in the June 12 primary election and defeated Mari Nakashima St. Martin (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012. 
|Nevada State Senate, District 9, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mari Nakashima St. Martin||49.7%||21,548|
|Nevada State Senate, District 9 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Justin C. Jones||82.5%||1,605|
|Frederick L. Conquest||17.5%||340|
Comprehensive donor information for Jones is available dating back to 2004. Based on available campaign finance records, Jones raised a total of $538,922 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 14, 2013.
|Justin Jones's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Nevada State Senate, District 9||$361,117|
|2004||Nevada State Assembly, District 13||$177,805|
|Grand Total Raised||$538,922|
2012Jones won election to the Nevada State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Jones raised a total of $361,117.
|Nevada State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Justin Jones's campaign in 2012|
|Nevada Hispanic Leadership Fund||$10,000|
|Committee To Elect Mo Denis||$10,000|
|Debbie Smith Campaign||$10,000|
|Buckskin Mountain PAC||$10,000|
|Sunrise Leadership Fund||$10,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$361,117|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2004Jones lost the election for the Nevada State Assembly in 2004. During that election cycle, Jones raised a total of $177,805.
|Nevada State Assembly 2004 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Justin Jones's campaign in 2004|
|Nevada State AFL-CIO||$7,823|
|American Nevada Co.||$7,000|
|Mandalay Resort Group||$6,200|
|Total Raised in 2004||$177,805|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Citizen Outreach: Ratings for the 2013 Nevada Legislature
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills dealing with government regulations, taxes/fees and individual liberty. Citizen Outreach selected 22 Assembly bills and 32 Senate bills to analyze for its scorecard.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Nevada Policy Research Institute: The 2013 Nevada Legislative Session Review & Report Card
- Legislators are scored on their voting record concerning economic freedom and education reform.
- Nevada Conservation League: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada: Facing Race – 2013 Legislative Report Card on Racial Equity
- Legislators are scored on their votes on education equity, economic equity, health equity and civil rights.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Justin + Jones + Nevada + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Friends for Justin Jones, "Values," accessed October 19, 2012
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2014 filed candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- Clark County, "Candidate filing," accessed April 8, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Nevada Primary Election 2014," accessed June 10, 2014
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, "Nevada Senate leader says GOP has chance to regain control of upper house," April 9, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2012 Primary candidates," accessed May 5, 2014
- Clark County, "2012 Primary candidates," accessed May 5, 2014
- Washoe County, "2012 General Election candidates," accessed May 5, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Official Results of the 2012 Primary Election," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Jones, Justin," accessed June 14, 2013
- Nevada State Legislature, "Session Information," accessed July 3, 2014
Elizabeth Halseth (R)
|Nevada State Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|
Becky Harris (R)