Kanawha County, West Virginia
Kanawha County is one of the five largest counties in West Virginia.
This website was most recently evaluated on an unknown date.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 3 years.
- Employee salaries are posted.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2010 are available.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the County Clerk. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Permits and zoning
- Zoning ordinances are posted online.
- Permit applications can be downloaded on the site, along with information on how to apply for the permits.
- Only two years of audits are available.
- Public records
- The website mentions that the County Clerk is responsible for documents, but does not say anything about public records requests or FOIA.
- If the county engaged in lobbying actives or if it's a member of lobbying associations are not disclosed. Nor is the total cost lobbying activities or membership dues for associations available.
- Meeting agendas are only posted for 2012 and 2013.
Kanawha County is a county located in the U.S. state of West Virginia taking its name from the Native American term, kanawha, meaning "place of white stone." As of the 2010 census, the population was 193,063. Its county seat is Charleston, the state capital. Kanawha County is the most populous county in the state of West Virginia. Charleston is its largest and most populous city. Upper Falls is its largest census-designated place and Cross Lanes its most populous. Kanawha County is part of the Charleston, WV metropolitan area, with a 2009 Census population estimate of 304,214 people.
See also: West Virginia public employee salaries
See also: West Virginia public pensions
There is very little information available online about the precise governmental structure of Kanawha County.
Kanawha County employs approximately 500 people who are paid salaries in range from $70 and $24,000. More information can be found on the salary registry that is updated as of March 2012.
|Category||General Budget 09 - 10||General Budget 10-11|
|Total General Government||$24,730,085.00||$26,427,871.00|
|Total Public Safety||$14,454,791.00||$14,497,612.00|
|Total Health and Sanitation||$1,476,649.00||$1,396,615.00|
|Total Culture & Recreation||$4,652,133.00||$4,826,996.00|
There is no current budget information that is more current than 2010.
See also: West Virginia government sector lobbying
- Kanawha County, Budgets, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Staff Directory, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- [http:www.url.com CITY, Elected Officials, Accessed: DATE]
- Kanawha County, Meeting Minutes, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Meeting Agendas, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Meeting Calendar, Accessed: march 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Meeting Audio and Video, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Audits, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Bids, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Contracts, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Public Records, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Taxes, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Pay Taxes Online, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- Kanawha County, Building Permits and Zoning, Accessed: March 17, 2013
- [http://www.kancocomm.com/documents/CountyWages.pdf Kanawha County, West Virginia -- County Wages (PDF)
- Kanawha County, West Virginia -- Budget