Cities in Kansas
Kansas allows cities to adopt charter ordinances and counties to adopt charter resolutions, making each in effect similar to a charter city or county with Home rule powers. There are 103 total counties and 626 municipalities in Kansas.
Types of local government
Local government in Kansas consists of:
- 626 city governments.
- 1268 town governments.
- 103 county governments.
- In addition, there are 1,503 special districts and 306 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
The local units of government in Kansas that make the initiative process available are:
- Cities: all 626 of which have ordinance initiative and charter ordinance referendum.
- Counties: all 103 of which have referendum for charter resolutions.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Kansas|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Overland Park||176,185||Charter||Special Election|
|Kansas City||146,453||Charter as consolidated city-county||Special Election|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Kansas cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)