Karl Van Haren recall, Pierson, Michigan (2012)
A vote about whether to recall Karl Van Haren from his elected position as village president of Pierson, Michigan took place on May 8th, 2012. Van Haren was retained in office. Pierson has a population of 172.
Reasons for recall
Pierson town council member Rebecca Starr filed recall language against Van Haren. The recall petition stated, "shall President Karl Van Haren be recalled because he has harassed village personnel and residents and has been disrespectful to those who disagree with him? He has created a hostile work environment for village board members. He has caused strained relations between village board members, the village clerk and treasurer.” Van Haren says the recall effort is the result of a personal vendetta that Starr has against him.
Path to the ballot
Only five signatures were required to force a recall election, but recall organizers gathered 28 signatures.
- Duane Grifes, Verna Smigiel, and Rebecca Starr recall, Pierson, Michigan (2012)
- Recall campaigns in Michigan
- Laws governing recall in Michigan
- Grand Rapids News "Facing recall for creating a 'hostile' workplace, Pierson president tries to boot three village trustees," April 23, 2012
- Grand Rapids News "Pierson president survives recall by 3 votes, 3 trustees now targeted," May 9, 2012
- Montcalm County Panhandle "Signatures filed to recall Pierson president," February 1, 2012