|U.S. House, Massachusetts, District 7|
Error creating thumbnail: convert: no decode delegate for this image format `/tmp/magick-Ub2PiZnQ' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/544.
convert: no images defined `/tmp/transform_11253f66ff08-1.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3044.
Karla Romero was a 2012 Independent candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 7th Congressional District of Massachusetts. She was also an Independent candidate for Thirty-fifth Middlesex, Massachusetts House of Representatives in the November 2, 2010, state legislative election.
Romero is President and CEO of Mass Appeal International, a federally designated charity. She earned her B.S. in Criminology and Law from Suffolk University.
On his campaign website, Romero lists eight issues. They are:
- Jobs and Economy
- On her website, Romero says, "Massachusetts is uniquely positioned to come out stronger than ever from the most recent recession. Massachusetts has one of the most hard working and highly-educated workforce with the highest-quality academic resources to provide innovative support, and we have an active venture capital community. In addition, the Commonwealth is emerging as a technological leader, particularly in the field of communications. Yet, the high cost of doing business in Massachusetts remains a barrier to market access. With the right policies we can reduce the barriers to market entry and ensure ensure health growth and job opportunities."
- Deficit Reduction
- On her website, Romero says, "If we do not do anything, our national debt could easily climb to 90 percent of out gross domestic product (GDP). If this happens, our debt will significantly crowd out the majority of domestic and entitlement spending. Addressing this problem will require both sensible and balanced spending cuts. Karla Romero believes we must do this by eliminating waste and duplication wherever we find it, and prioritizing spending more effectively. Karla also believes we need to expanded the use of technology to deliver vital services faster, better and more cost-effectively."
- On her website, Romero says, "Education is the new frontier of the 21st century and is key to opportunity and America's best tool in an increasingly competitive global economy. Only a comprehensive and challenging education can provide the skills needed to think creatively, which is key to American innovation."
- On her website, Romero says, "Karla Romero believes all Americans should be empowered with all pertinent information needed to access to affordable, quality health care. As a member of Congress she will work to address the root causes of rising health care costs, rather than shifting the costs to taxpayers or forcing Americans into an inflexible, one-size-fits-all bureaucratic system."
- Energy Security
- On her website, Romero says, "In her first term in office, Karla Romero will make a comprehensive, long-term energy policy a top priority. Her goal is clear and far-sighted: promote affordable, reliable, and environmentally safe and secure energy supplies by increasing conservation, investing in new technologies, and exploring for new domestic sources of energy. At the same time, Karla Romero will continue to make clear to foreign oil producers our mutual interest in maintaining adequate and secure supplies of foreign oil to meet our energy needs and to ensure the continuation of global economic growth."
- Foreign Policy
- On her website, Romero says, "Karla Romero recognizes that the kind of warfare we face is new in history and she will be an independent thinker in these times that try us. We must work efficiently and lawfully to defend ourselves at home so that people feel safe to conduct their lives freely and so that businesses can function with confidence. Abroad we must work with our allies when it is practical, and we must act independently when the circumstances require."
- On her website, Romero says, "Our nation's veterans has given the highest level of service possible to their country, and we owe them and un-payable debt for the sacrifices they make on our behalf defending liberty throughout the world."
- Civil Rights
- On her website, Romero says, "Karla Romero will fight to uphold Freedom, Liberty, Equity, and the Constitution for every American citizen regardless of race, class, religious belief, gender, and sexual identity. As a nation we owe it to ourselves to live by commonsense morals that are the bedrock of our nation."
Romero ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Massachusetts' 7th District. Romero ran as an Independent candidate. Incumbent Democrat Mike Capuano has been redistricted from the 8th District and is seeking re-election.
|U.S. House, Massachusetts District 7 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Michael Capuano Incumbent||73.9%||210,794|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
|Massachusetts House of Representatives General Election, Thirty-fifth Middlesex District, 2010|
|Democratic||Paul Donato, Sr. Incumbent||76.3%||9,306|
- Politico, "2012 Election Map, Massachusetts"
- Vote Karla Romero, "About Karla" June 27, 2012
- Karla Romero for Congress, "Issues" August 14, 2012
- Wicked Local, "Mike Capuano Has a Challenger, Still Hasn't Announced His 2012 Plans" accessed January 5, 2012
- Wicked Local, "Capuano loses parts of Boston, Cambridge under redistricting plan" accessed January 6, 2012