|Illinois House of Representatives District 79|
|2013 - Present|
|January 14, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Ball State University, 1976|
|Master's||National College of Education, 1984|
|Profession||Teacher, Small Business Owner|
Cloonen earned her bachelor's from Ball State University in 1976 and her master's from the National College of Education in 1984. Her professional experience includes owning and operating JK Steel Erectors, Inc. for the past twenty-one years and teaching music in the Reddick and Herscher schools.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Cloonen served on the following committees:
|Illinois Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture & Conservation|
|• Cities & Villages|
|• Economic Development|
|• State Government Administration|
Cloonen's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Fighting for Jobs
- Excerpt: "Kate started her own small business and knows what it means to create jobs. She will work to promote our region as a great place to do business, passing legislation that helps businesses put people back to work and revitalize our economy."
- Making Legislators Take a Pay Cut
- Excerpt: "Helping to get Illinois back on the right track requires doing the right thing. At a time of economic challenges, Kate will not only make state legislators take a pay cut, she’ll make it harder for them to raise their pay in the future."
- Demanding Fiscal Responsibility
- Excerpt: "To rein in spending and make government pay its bills, Kate will reform Illinois’ budget process and help cut waste and inefficiencies, forcing government to protect vital services and spend taxpayer dollars wisely."
- A Strong Voice for Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "Our Second Amendment rights are a way of life in our communities. As an advocate for law-abiding gun owners, Kate will continue to fight for our rights and work to bring concealed carry to Illinois."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Incumbent Katherine Cloonen defeated John W. Howard in the Democratic primary, while Glenn Nixon ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Cloonen and Nixon will face off in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 79 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Katherine Cloonen Incumbent||78.1%||1,970|
|John W. Howard||21.9%||553|
Cloonen won election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 79. Cloonen was unopposed in the March 20 Democratic primary and defeated Glenn Nixon (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 79, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Cloonen is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Cloonen raised a total of $266,520 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 23, 2013.
|Katherine Cloonen's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Illinois State House, District 79||$266,520|
|Grand Total Raised||$266,520|
2012Cloonen won election to the Illinois House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Cloonen raised a total of $266,520.
|Illinois House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Katherine Cloonen's campaign in 2012|
|Illinois Democratic Party||$119,552|
|Democratic Party of Illinois||$33,077|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$13,231|
|Construction & General Laborers District Council of Chicago & Vicinity||$11,100|
|Federation of Teachers Local 604||$6,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$266,520|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2014, Cloonen's endorsements include the following:
- The Illinois Observer
Cloonen has a husband, Gary.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Katherine + Cloonen + Illinois + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Illinois State Legislature
- Illinois state legislative districts
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign LinkedIn page
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Profile from Open States
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- facebook.com, "About Kate Cloonen," accessed February 19, 2014
- Katherine Cloonen, accessed October 21, 2012
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "Cloonen, Katherine (Kate)," accessed July 23, 2013
- www.illinoisobserver.net, "Illinois House and Senate 2014 Primary Endorsements Part II,” accessed February 19, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Katherine Cloonen," accessed October 21, 2012
Lisa M. Dugan (D)
|Illinois House of Representatives District 79
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |