Kathleen M. Banke
|Kathleen M. Banke|
|California First District Court of Appeal|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger|
|Past post:||Judge, Alameda County Superior Court|
|Undergraduate:||California State University at Sacramento, 1974|
|Law School:||University of Colorado, 1979|
|Candidate for:||First District Court of Appeal|
|Election information 2014:|
Kathleen M. Banke is a justice on the First District, Division One of the California Courts of Appeal. She was appointed in June of 2009 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and was sworn-in the following July 30. She ran for retention in 2014, winning a new term that expires on January 3, 2027.
- See also: California judicial elections, 2014
|Banke was retained to the First District Court of Appeal with 78.8 percent of the vote on November 4, 2014.|
- See also: California judicial elections, 2010
Banke spent her legal career practicing appellate law for over 20 years. In June 2006, she was appointed to the Alameda County Superior Court. Three years later, she was elevated to the California First District Court of Appeal.
Awards and associations
- Chair, Center for Judicial Education
- Member, Kleps Award Committee
- Inducted fellow, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Ex officio member, California Academy of Appellate Lawyers
Regulation of Russian River water (2014)
A panel of appeals court judges gave the state water board power to regulate water use of Russian River.
- SF Gate, "Court ruling restores right to limit Russian River water use," June 17, 2014
- Bloomberg BNA, "California Appeals Panel Says Water Board Can Regulate Russian River Diversions," June 19, 2014
- The Press Democrat, "North Coast growers take fight over frost rules to state high court," July 25, 2014
- California Courts, "Kathleen M. Banke"
- Office of the Governor Press Release, "Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Three Justices to the First District Court of Appeal," June 11, 2000
- California Secretary of State, "Judicial Branch Roster," 2014
- California Courts, "Hon. Kathleen M. Banke"
- Metropolitan News-Enterprise, "Governor Names Chaney, Johnson to C.A.," June 12, 2009
- Judicial selection in California
- California Secretary of State, "General Election -November 4,2014 Official Certified List of Candidates," August 28, 2014
- League of Women Voters of California, "Judicial Contests for California State Government 2010," accessed October 28, 2014
- Voter's Edge, "Kathleen M. Banke," accessed October 23, 2014