|Minnesota House of Representatives District 41A|
|2009 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire (1983)|
|Master's||University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire|
Downey received his MIS and BBA from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
He has worked as Advisor to State Agencies in Strategy, Technology, Operations, was an employee with Unisys and Epic Systems, and a partner with Virchow Krause Consulting.
Downey is a member of Christ Presbyterian Church and treasurer of the Southview Parent Council. He is married and has 3 children.
Downey's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Recover our economy
- Excerpt:"Reform the tax structure to simplify it, reduce state revenue volatility, and attract investment to Minnesota."
Develop World-Class Graduates
- Excerpt:"Increase local control for school districts by reforming the school funding formula and relieving mandates."
Control State Spending
- Excerpt:"Measure outcomes for programs at all levels of government."
Reform Healthcare and Human Services
- Excerpt:"Expand pay for performance for all programs, specifically the pilots in workforce and housing programs."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Downey served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Downey served on these committees:
- Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division (Lead GOP)
- Higher Education and Workforce Development Finance and Policy Division
- K-12 Education Policy and Oversight
- State Government Finance Division
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
Downey ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota State Senate District 49. Downey was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, was defeated by Melisa Franzen (D) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 41A (2010)|
|Kevin Staunton (DFL)||9,767||48.51%|
|Keith Downey (R)||10,354||51.42%|
Keith Downey raised $83,281 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 41A (2008)|
|Keith Downey (R)||8,925||39.69%|
|Ron Erhardt (MI)||7,760||31.90%|
|Kevin Staunton (DFL)||7,626||31.35%|
In 2010, Downey received $104,540 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Keith Downey's campaign in 2010|
|House Republican Campaign Cmte Of Minnesota||$3,750|
|41st Senate District Republican Party Of Minnesota||$1,750|
|Corrigan, Fredrick W||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$104,540|
Listed below are the three largest contributors to Keith Downey's 2008 campaign.
|41st Senate District Republican Party||$3,455|
|House Republican Campaign CMTE of Minnesota||$1,000|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
- Keith Downey's personal website
- Minnesota House of Representatives - Rep. Downey
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Keith Downey on Facebook
- Keith Downey on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Downey
- "keithdowney," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- 2008 General Election Results
- Follow the Money's report on Downey's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 41A
| Succeeded by|
Connie Bernardy (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |