Kevin A. McCarthy
|Illinois House of Representatives District 37|
|1997-December 27, 2011|
|Per diem||$132/per session day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Chicago State University, 1972|
|Master's||DePaul University, 1976|
|Service/branch||United States Army Reserve|
|Years of service||1971-1977|
|Date of birth||December 5, 1950|
|Place of birth||Chicago, IL|
McCarthy received his M.A. from DePaul University and B.A. from Chicago State University. He served in the United States Army Reserve from 1971-1977, and is a teacher.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, McCarthy served on the following committees:
- Higher Education
- Personnel & Pensions, Chair
- Public Utilities
- Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, McCarthy served on the following committees:
- Environmental Health (Vice Chair)
- Financial Institutions
- Health Care Licenses
- Higher Education
- Personnel & Pensions (Chair)
McCarthy did not seek re-election in 2012.
McCarthy won re-election to the 37th District seat against Republican Jeffrey L. Junkas. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on February 2nd. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37 (2010)|
|Kevin A. McCarthy (D)||17,444||51.74%|
|Jeffrey L. Junkas (R)||16,269||48.26%|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37 (2008)|
|Kevin McCarthy (D)||37,963|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37 (2006)|
|Kevin McCarthy (D)||24,496|
In 2010, McCarthy collected $488,724 in campaign contributions. The largest contributors are listed below:
|Illinois House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Kevin A. McCarthy's campaign in 2010|
|Illinois Democratic Party||$252,656|
|Friends Of Michael Madigan||$25,370|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$18,782|
|Associated Beer Distributors Of Illinois||$10,000|
|Construction & General Laborers District Council Of Chicago & Vicinity||$10,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$488,724|
In 2008, McCarthy collected $121,603 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Illinois Credit Union League||$5,700|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$5,500|
|Illinois Automobile Dealers Association||$4,750|
|Penn National Gaming||$4,000|
|Cable Television & Communications Association of Illinois||$4,000|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$4,000|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$3,500|
|Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges & Universities||$2,250|
|Auto Auction Real Estate Partnership||$2,000|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$2,000|
|Chemical Industry Council of Illinois||$2,000|
|Nicolay & Dart||$1,750|
|Mayer Brown Rowe & Maw||$1,500|
Congressional staff salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. McCarthy paid his congressional staff a total of $884,327 in 2011. He ranks 101st on the list of the lowest paid Republican representative staff salaries and ranks 123rd overall of the lowest paid representative staff salaries in 2011. Overall, California ranks 5th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org, McCarthy's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $114,016 and $485,000. That averages to $299,508, which is lower than the average net worth of Republican representatives in 2010 of $7,561,133.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Kevin + McCarthy + Illinois + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois General Assembly - Representative Kevin A. McCarthy (D) 37th District
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Illinois House Democrats - Kevin A. McCarthy
- Southtown Star, "Longtime legislator McCarthy retires," December 28, 2011
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. McCarthy
- Illinois Elections Division, "Illinois Official 2010 General Election Results," November 2, 2010
- Illinois Elections Division, "Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2008," November 4, 2008
- Illinois Elections Division, "Illinois House of Representatives official election results for 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the money - Illinois House 2010 donors
- McCarthy Campaign Donors
- LegiStorm, "Kevin McCarthy"
- OpenSecrets, "McCarthy, (R-Cali), 2010"
|Illinois House of Representatives District 37
1997–December 27, 2011
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |