King County Library System Property Tax Increase (February 2010)
This measure was approved In King County.
- YES 124,429 (52.09%)
- NO 114,435 (47.91%)
This measure was defeated in Pierce County.
- YES 386 (41.31%)
- NO 548 (58.69%) 
This measure was approved in Snohomish County.
- YES 1,974 (59.78%)
- NO 1,328 (40.22%)
This measure asked county voters to raise property taxes to 50 cents per $1,000 to better help fund the library system. Last year cuts were already made to the library system, which is composed of 44 librarys throughout the county. Proponents hoped further cuts would not be made as usage has climbed during the recession. Opponents saw it as ill timed and believed that cuts should be made. Those on the library board hoped that continued support for the library will show with voters in February. This measure will effectively go around an initiative that does not allow more than 1 percent growth in property taxes. Since this measure passed, approximately $16 million will be raised to help fund the library system. This tax addition will only be in place for one year, so the money raised will mostly be saved to help fund future usage.
It has been noted that library usage increases during touch economically times, computers are more heavily used and more people find themselves renting books rather than buying. Proponents of the tax show this example as why the library system needs continued support, libraries, they feel, play an important role in the community are needed even more now.
- The Seattle Times, "King County library measure ahead by slight margin," February 9, 2010
- The Examiner, "King County special election results," February 9, 2010
- King County Election Results
- [hhttp://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/elections/archives/feb2010/results.htm Pierce County Election Results]
- Snohomish County Current Election Results
- Issaquah Press, "Library system asks voters for funding," January 19,2010
- The Seattle Times, "King County library seeks boost in tax limit to avoid cuts," February 3, 2010
- The Seattle Times, "Library levy," February 7, 2010