|North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|January 2, 2013-present|
|Years in position||1|
|President, Mandan Public Schools Board|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Mandan Public Schools Board|
|Associate's||Bismarck State College|
|Bachelor's||Minot State University|
|Master's||Valley City State University|
Baesler began her career in public schools as a library assistant. From there she became a library media specialist and an assistant principal in the Bismarck Public School District.
- Two Associate degrees, Bismarck State College
- Master's, Education/Library Information Technology, Valley City State University
- Bachelor's, Education, Minot State University
North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction (2013-present)
Baesler supports the Common Core education standards and is helping to implement them in North Dakota. Baesler has said that the "purpose of the standards is to make sure our students are college and career ready after graduation." In a public meeting hosted by the Bismarck Mandan Chamber of Commerce, Baesler sat with a panel of principals, superintendents and educators to demonstrate the transparency of North Dakota's efforts to follow Common Core. They expressed the efforts North Dakota had made to work with educators and include parents in meeting the new standards. Baesler also noted that she had no power to end the standards and that only the legislature has that power.
In a hearing before the Interim Education Funding Committee, Baesler stated that she had received no complaints from either parents or educators about the new Common Core changes and welcomed further discussion of Common Core to encourage understanding of the standards.
Mandan School Board (2004-2012)
Baesler served on the Mandan School Board from 2004 to December 2012. She was President from 2005 to 2012.
Baesler won election as North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2012. She won Republican Party support during the party's convention, where she defeated Rep. David Monson by a vote of 863-725. Baesler defeated Max Laird and Tracy Potter in the primary on June 12, coming in first. She defeated Potter in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2012|
|Election Results via North Dakota Secretary of State.|
Comprehensive donor information for Baesler is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Baesler raised a total of $199,038 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 20, 2013.
|Kirsten Baesler's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||ND Superintendent of Public Instruction||$199,038|
|Grand Total Raised||$199,038|
Baesler won election to the position of North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2012. During that election cycle, Baesler raised a total of $199,038.
|North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Kirsten Baesler's campaign in 2012|
|North Dakota Republican Party||$40,000|
|North Dakota Farm Bureau||$8,000|
|Mary Alice Bergen||$7,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$199,038|
|Total Votes received in 2012||154,177|
|Cost of each vote received||$1.29|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kirsten + Baesler + North + Dakota + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Wayne Sanstead
- North Dakota school districts
- North Dakota Department of Education
- Official campaign website
- Kirsten Baesler on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- LinkedIn profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- North Dakota Department of Public Instruction, "Kirsten Baesler," accessed February 21, 2013
- KFYR-TV 5, "Common Core Standards Continue To Raise Debates," May 31, 2014
- The Bismarck Tribune, "Baesler talks Common Core with committee," January 29, 2014
- Grand Forks Herald, "Baesler backed by GOP for N.D. school superintendent," April 1, 2012
- Devils Lake Journal, "ND primary election to be held Tuesday," June 6, 2012
- Bismark Tribune, "General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Follow the Money, " Career fundraising for Kirsten Baesler," accessed May 20, 2013
|North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction
| Succeeded by|