L. Harvey Smith
|L. Harvey Smith|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New Jersey General Assembly District 31|
|2008 - 2009|
|Profession||Undersheriff, Hudson County|
Prior to his election to the Assembly, Smith served in the New Jersey State Senate from 2003-2004. He was also President of the Jersey City city council from 2001-2005, and Mayor of Jersey City in 2004.
Smith was arrested on July 23, 2009 by federal authorities on charges of accepting a $15,000 bribe. He is one of at least 30 politicians and religious leaders arrested in the same federal money-laundering and corruption sweep. The arrests were the result of a two-year FBI and IRS probe into money transfers by members of Syrian communities in Deal and Brooklyn. Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt was also arrested.
Federal officials announce corruption bust
- Higher Education Committee, New Jersey General Assembly
- Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee, New Jersey General Assembly
- A1117 Revises the calculation of school district budget caps, eliminates the restrictions on the submission of separate proposal for additional spending, and requires a performance audit upon the submission of such proposals.
- A2572 Establishes the Department of Higher Education.
- A2955 Permits bid for public works contract to be withdrawn due to error in certain circumstances; permits contracting unit to require financial statement from bidders.
- A3123 Requires registration and oversight of home education programs.
The top 5 donors to Smith's 2007 campaign:
- 1. Hudson County Democratic Organization $230,865
- 2. Eggers, Frederick G $2,600
- 3. Learner Co $2,600
- 4. Kramer, Amy L $2,600
- 5. Redwood, Eldon, A $2,600
- New Jersey General Assembly - Rep. L. Harvey Smith
- Project Vote Smart profile
- State Surge - legislative and voting track record
- NJ Assembly Dems - Assemblyman Smith
- Campaign Contributions: 2007, 2003
- Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Smith
- Newark Star-Ledger, "N.J. officials, N.Y. rabbis caught in federal money laundering, corruption sweep," July 23, 2009
- Newark Star-Ledger, "Following the N.J. corruption money trail: Money laundering splintered into political probe," July 23, 2009
- New Jersey State Legislature, "Bills Sponsored by Senators and Representatives," accessed April 10, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2007 Campaign Contributions
|New Jersey Assembly District 31
| Succeeded by|
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |