California State Senate, District 14
Johnson has served as Auditor/Chairman of the Campaign Services Committee of the Central Committee of the Fresno County Democratic Party. He was also a candidate for the United States House of Representatives in 2008.
Johnson received his diploma from Fork Union Military Academy in 1964. He then attended Electronic Engineering studies at Capital Institute of Technology. In 1967 he earned his Pilot's License from Burnside Ott Aviation Training Center.
Johnson has worked as a Captain for Wings West Commuter Airlines. He is also the founder of Aviation Insurance Agency and has been a Flight Instructor. From 1972 to 1975, he was an Agent for I. Berman Insurance Agency. Johnson then worked as Underwriter for Omni Aviation Managers from 1975 to 1980. He worked as a Captain for Continental Airlines from 1988 to 2006. He has been partner of Wyatt International Insurance Agency since 1980.
Johnson and his wife, Ann, have five children.
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2010
Johnson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Single Payer Healthcare
- Excerpt: "For millions of California's residents, health care costs are going to continue to sky-rocket as long as we allow companies to put profits ahead of the health and welfare of each other."
- Bank of the State of California
- Excerpt: "I suggest that the state form a state owned and operated bank that focuses its resources on California citizens limiting it focus to personal financing and to California based industries and businesses."
- Interest Rate Laws
- Excerpt: "I suggest the California institute a stricter oversight of the interest rates being charged to its residents by banks and credit issuers."
- Budget Roll-Over Law
- Excerpt: "I propose that the law be amended to force the expiring budget to be automatically rolled over, with no interruption, in the event that the Legislature has not managed to pass a balanced budget by the time required in the constitution. "
- Restructure Sentencing Laws
- Excerpt: "It is long past time for a complete review of California's Sentencing laws. We need to become "Smart on Crime and prison sentencing.""
- Make Higher Education Affordable Again
- Excerpt: "We need to reduce the costs of higher education for the middle class students who other wise qualify and desire a college degree."
- Keep Religion out of Government
- Excerpt: "We need to strengthen our separation ethic so that neither institution is corrupted by the other while they stay firmly separated."
- Larry Johnson's campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- List of candidates certified for the June 8, 2010 primary in California (dead link)