Larry P. Zikmund
|Larry P. Zikmund|
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 14|
|January 13, 2015 - present|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||Four terms (8 years)|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Zikmund served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Commerce and Energy|
Zikmund's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Keeping Your Taxes Low
- Excerpt: " South Dakota has thrived because of our low tax, business friendly environment. Higher taxes mean more money out of your pocket. I support keeping taxes low to encourage businesses to create jobs. Low taxes provide an incentive for businesses to start and relocate in South Dakota."
Economic Development and Workforce Development
- Excerpt: "We live in a competitive economic environment with other states competing for some of the same must ensure our workforce is trained to meet the challenge. I want to leverage my experience and will be able to hit the ground running as an effective advocate for District 14."
Investing in a World Class Education System
- Excerpt: "I support education and improving opportunities for K-12 programs and training in technical fields. Education opens doors and opportunity in life. I want to ensure our children have a bright future where they are adequately equipped with a knowledgeable background and skill set. Education is a key component to ensure we can compete in the regional and global economy."
Holding the Line on Government Spending
- Excerpt: "It’s important to take a common sense, conservative approach to spending. Budgets are about priorities which must be set and then funded according the money we have. I’ve managed budgets and had to make payroll. Just like a family budget, our state must live within our means. I support finding efficiencies and eliminating unnecessary spending. Those dollars should be redirected to programs that work."
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Valerie Loudenback and Chris McClure were unopposed in the Democratic primary. Tom Holmes and Larry P. Zikmund defeated Jane Ausborn in the Republican primary. Holmes and Zikmund defeated McClure and Loudenback in the general election.
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 14, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Larry P. Zikmund||30.4%||4,474|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State|
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 14 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Larry P. Zikmund||55.6%||1,267|
|Jane Ellen Ausborn||21.9%||498|
Zikmund ran in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 14. Zikmund advanced past the Republican primary on June 5 and was defeated in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 14 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Anna C. Hajek||37%||946|
|Larry P. Zikmund||34.5%||882|
|R. Shawn Tornow Incumbent||28.4%||726|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Larry + Zikmund + South Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota House of Representatives
- South Dakota House Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota state legislative districts
- Profile from the South Dakota State Legislature
- Profile from Open States
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- larryzikmund.org, "Issues," accessed May 19, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 25, 2012
Marc Feinstein (D)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 14
| Succeeded by|