|Tuscaloosa City Board of Education Chair|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||August 27, 2013|
|Tuscaloosa City Council District 4|
|1997 - 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama|
Garrison earned his Bachelor's degree in Commerce and Business Administration from the University of Alabama. While enrolled in college, Garrison led a successful campaign for the District 4 seat on the Tuscaloosa City Council. He is currently the Vice President of Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA Inc. Garrison has served as a board member of the Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports Commission and the Black Warrior Council Boy Scouts of America. He and his wife, Misty, have one child.
Garrison defeated Denise Hills in the August 27, 2013 general election for the Chair of the Tuscaloosa City Board of Education.
|Tuscaloosa Board of Education Chair, 2013|
|Source: Fox 6 News These results are unofficial.|
Garrison was unopposed for the District 4 position on the Tuscaloosa City Council for the August 25, 2009 election.
Garrison was successful in his 2005 campaign against Elliott Owen Lipinsky for the District 4 seat on the Tuscaloosa City Council.
|Tuscaloosa City Council, District 4, 2005|
|Nonpartisan||Elliott Owen Lipinsky||19.6%||143|
In 2001, Lee Garrison was unopposed for the District 4 seat on the Tuscaloosa City Council.
Garrison's campaign website listed the following themes for 2013:
"We will focus on student achievement by setting the following goals:
1. All students perform at or above proficiency and show continuous improvement
2. All students will succeed
3. Every student graduates from high school
4. Every student graduates high school prepared for a career or college"
"We will expand on initiatives to address at-risk children so they are prepared to succeed in the classroom. Expansion of our successful Pre-K program is a great place to start. Children do not drop out of school at seventeen years old; in reality they drop out in third grade because they cannot read at grade level. We must close the gap!"
"Academics will be our main focus, but we will also work to improve our athletic programs in our schools to provide championship-level athletics for our children."
"We will improve transparency, accountability, and civility on our Tuscaloosa City Board of Education.
1. We will move Board meetings to local schools and televise our meetings. We as a board will have an open-door policy to citizens, administrators and teachers.
2. Your Board of Education will be accountable to the taxpayers of our city. The tired excuses of the past are no longer acceptable when you elect me as Chair.
3. Your Board will conduct business in a civil and respectful manner. If we expect our children to be civil and respectful in the classroom, then we as a board must lead by example."
About the district
- See also: Tuscaloosa City Schools, Alabama
Tuscaloosa lags behind the rest of Alabama based on median household income and persons below the poverty level but outperforms the state average in high school graduation rates. The median household income for Tuscaloosa is $34,359 when compared to $42,934 for the state of Alabama. The percentage of people below poverty level for Tuscaloosa is 29.6% while it is 17.3% for the state of Alabama. 85.3% of persons over the age of 25 have a high school degree, while 81.9% of Alabama residents have a high school degree. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 32.7% of Tuscaloosa residents aged 25 or older have a bachelor's degree, while the same rate is 22% for the state of Alabama.
|2010 Census Data for Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|Race||Tuscaloosa||State of Alabama|
|Black or African American||41.5%||26.2%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.2%||0.6%|
|Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander||Z||0.1%|
|Two or more race||1.1%||1.5%|
|Hispanic or Latino||3.0%||3.9%|
|White alone, not Hispanic or Latino||52.6%||67%|
- Alabama school districts
- Tuscaloosa City School District elections (2013)
- Tuscaloosa City Schools, Alabama
- AL.com "Tuscaloosa City Councilman Lee Garrison to run for city school board chair" Accessed July 26, 2013
- City of Tuscaloosa "Councilman Lee Garrison" Accessed July 26, 2013
- Tuscaloosa News "Tuscaloosa City election results" Accessed July 26, 2013
- Friends of Lee Garrison, "A Plan for Our Children," accessed August 15, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Tuscaloosa," accessed July 24, 2013
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|