The Legislative Ethics Commission is a joint standing committee of the Illinois State Legislature.
|| In addition to duties otherwise assigned by law, the Legislative Ethics Commission shall have the following duties:
- To promulgate rules governing the performance of its duties and the exercise of its powers and governing the investigations of the Legislative Inspector General.
- To conduct administrative hearings and rule on matters brought before the Commission only upon the receipt of pleadings filed by the Legislative Inspector General and not upon its own prerogative, but may appoint special Legislative Inspectors General as provided in Section 25-21. Any other allegations of misconduct received by the Commission from a person other than the Legislative Inspector General shall be referred to the Office of the Legislative Inspector General.
- To prepare and publish manuals and guides and, working with the Office of the Attorney General, oversee training of employees under its jurisdiction that explains their duties.
- To prepare public information materials to facilitate compliance, implementation, and enforcement of this Act.
- To submit reports as required by this Act.
- To the extent authorized by this Act, to make rulings, issue recommendations, and impose administrative fines, if appropriate, in connection with the implementation and interpretation of this Act. The powers and duties of the Commission are limited to matters clearly within the purview of this Act.
- To issue subpoenas with respect to matters pending before the Commission, subject to the provisions of this Article and in the discretion of the Commission, to compel the attendance of witnesses for purposes of testimony and the production of documents and other items for inspection and copying.
- To appoint special Legislative Inspectors General as provided in Section 25-21.
||The Legislative Ethics Commission shall consist of 8 commissioners appointed 2 each by the President and Minority Leader of the Senate and the Speaker and Minority Leader of the House of Representatives.
2015 legislative session
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2015 legislative session.
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
The following table describes committee membership for the 2011 legislative session.