|Idaho House of Representatives, District 10B|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Place of birth||Stockholm, Sweden|
He is currently a school board trustee for the Caldwell School District.
Skyving's website highlights the following campaign themes:
|“||Im running for the Idaho Legislature because I care deeply about Caldwell. My vision for our community includes a vibrant middle class, world-class schools, good paying jobs, and affordable college education.||”|
Elections for the office of Idaho House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Leif Skyving was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Greg Chaney defeated write-in candidates Brian Darnall Bishop and Kent Marmon in the Republican primary. Skyving will face Chaney, Gordon Counsil (I) and Eugene Spencer Smith (L) in the general election.
|Idaho House of Representatives, District 10B Republican Primary, 2014|
|Brian Darnall Bishop||29%||596|
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2012
Skyving ran for election in the 2012 election for Idaho State Senate District 10. Skyving was unopposed in the May 15 Democratic primary and was defeated by incumbent Jim Rice (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Idaho State Senate, District 10, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jim Rice Incumbent||61.2%||7,706|
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2010
Skyving was a Democratic candidate for District 10 of the Idaho State Senate. He had no opposition in the May 25 primary. He lost to Republican John McGee in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Skyving may have violated the Idaho Constitution when he used his official school account to send an email message to employees of the school district to lay out his arguments against John McGee’s re-election. In the email he offered to provide refreshments for any employee who might want to hold a fundraiser for his campaign.
In the email, sent on June 17, 2010 from Skyving’s official email address to one address that sends his email to every employee of the Caldwell School District, Skyving says that McGee is "no friend of public education" and says that he is "shocked by the lack of interest in by a majority of our legislators for creative solutions in regards to the current crisis in education."
In the email he explained that since his campaign began in April, he has visited more than 1,000 households, most of which, he proclaims, are concerned about recent education budget cuts. He also points a finger at the Idaho Education Association (IEA), blasting the group for not supporting his campaign bid because it sees McGee as unbeatable. He describes the lack of IEA’s confidence in his campaign as a “tough pill to swallow” in the message.
Caldwell School District Superintendent Roger Quarles said that Skyving was in clear violation of the district’s Internet use policy, which prevents political communication like the one sent out by the candidate.
Canyon County prosecutor John Bujak is the man with the authority to investigate the incident, but he will reportedly not look into it. Bujak said the violation, which Skyving said was unintentional, should be handled by the school district and not his office.
”It seems that this will likely be handled as a policy/personnel matter within the school district,” Bujak said in an email to the publication.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Leif + Skyving + Idaho + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Idaho House of Representatives
- Idaho House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Idaho State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Leif Skyving on Facebook
- skyvingforidaho.com, "My Vision," accessed September 15, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 12, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Primary write-in candidates list," accessed June 12, 2014
- Idaho Secretary of State, "2012 primary election results," accessed May 15, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State – Elections Division, "November 6, 2012 General Election Results," accessed December 27, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed April 16, 2014
- "Idaho Senate candidate may have violated Idaho Constitution in email message," Idaho Reporter, July 14, 2010
- "Report: Prosecutor won’t go after Senate candidate Skyving," Idaho Reporter, July 16, 2010