|Florida House of Representatives District 10|
|2008 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Associate's||North Florida Community College|
|Date of birth||August 24, 1947|
|Place of birth||Jasper, Florida|
|Profession||Retired General Manager/retail; Farmer/timber|
Bembry was a 2012 Democratic candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 2nd Congressional District of Florida. Bembry was defeated by Alfred Lawson in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012.
Bembry's professional experience includes working as a farmer and owning University Homes.
He is a member of the Florida Manufactured Housing Association, Habitat for Humanity, Madison County Development Council, Madison County Farm Bureau, National Rifle Association and the Wild Turkey Federation.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Bembry served on these committees:
- Select Committee on Water Policy
- State Affairs
- Subcommittee on Appropriations, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on K-20 Innovation
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Bembry served on these committees:
- Agriculture & Natural Resources Policy Committee (Ranking Minority Member)
- Economic Development Policy Committee
- Natural Resources Appropriations Committee
Bembry did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Bembry's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 689 - "Debtors and Creditors: Requires lenders or creditors to verify identity of persons applying for loans, credit cards, or extensions of credit; provides that knowing & willful use of personal identifying information of another individual creates rebuttable presumption; provides for forfeiture of future indebtedness for failure to verify applicant's identity."
- HB 929 - "Payments in Lieu of Taxes: Provides that counties, municipalities, school districts, & specified independent special districts shall receive payments in lieu of taxes as result of implementation of amendments to State Constitution providing ad valorem tax exemption for real property dedicated in perpetuity for conservation purposes"
- HB 1421 - "Searchable Budget Database Website: Creates "Taxpayer Transparency Act;" requires Auditor General & Deparatment of Revenue to create searchable budget database website for access to information relating to appropriation & expenditure of state funds; specifies factors to be used to search site"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Bembry ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Florida's 1st District. Bembry sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was June 8, 2012, with the primary taking place on August 14, 2012. Incumbent Steve Southerland II sought re-election on the Republican ticket. Bembry was defeated by Alfred Lawson in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012.
The primary took place on August 14.
|Florida's 2nd Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
| Florida State Senate, District 10 |
2010 General election results
On November 4, 2008, Bembry won election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 10th District, defeating Don Curtis (R). Bembry received 34,586 votes in the election while Curtis received 29,899 votes. Bembry raised $230,306 for his campaign; Curtis raised $350,249.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 10|
|Leonard Bembry (D)||34,586||53.6%|
|Don Curtis (R)||29,899||46.4%|
In 2010, Bembry raised $119,784 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Florida Farm Bureau||$2,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$1,500|
|Florida Association Of Realtors||$1,500|
Below are Bembry's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Leonard L Bembry||$66,650|
|FL Democratic Party||$41,196|
|FL Police Benevolent Assoc||$3,500|
|FL Optometric Assoc||$1,500|
|FL Assoc of Insurance Agents||$1,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Leonard + Bembry + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Leonard Bembry on Facebook
- AP Results, "U.S. House Results," accessed August 14, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed December 18, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue positions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Roll Call, "State Lawmaker Launches Bid to Take On Southerland" accessed December 2, 2011
- Florida Secretary of State, "August 2012 Primary Election," accessed September 4, 2012
- Florida Election Watch, "2010 Election results," accessed December 18, 2014
- Florida Department of Elections, "Florida House Official Election Results," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2008 Contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 10
| Succeeded by|
Elizabeth Porter (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |