Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Oregon House of Representatives District 31|
Barnes ran for election in the 2012 election for Oregon House of Representatives District 31. Barnes was unopposed in the May 15 Republican primary and was defeated by incumbent Brad Witt (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
2010 Campaign themes
Barnes' campaign website listed five main issues:
- Fiscal issues: " Institute fiscal responsibility by prioritizing budget items to the core services government is responsible for. These items to include fire, safety, education and infrastructure. All other items, in the budget, should be scrutinized as to their validity with respect to the authorization or the lack of it contained within the constitution."
- Education: " In that the public school system in the state of Oregon boasts a 30% drop out rate is obvious that this institution is broken. I strongly support injecting competition into the equation. I support such alternatives as charter schools, vouchers and virtual schools in an effort to allow families to choose the appropriate alternative as they see fit."
- Accountability: "A cursory review of the core services government is responsible for would indicate we have a disconnect between their stated objective and the results. The state all funds budget has doubled over the last 10 years from $27 billion to $54 billion. I defy anyone to point to one of these core services and produce findings that indicate a doubling in their output. Are there twice as many fire and rescue professionals, police officers, roads? Has our dropout rate of high school students been cut in half? I would suggest that the answer to these questions is a resounding NO!"
- Illegal immigration: " Illegal immigration is just that, it’s illegal. By not enforcing our immigration laws we have created problems for ourselves in a number of areas... It is estimated our state spends in excess of $1 billion per year on welfare benefits, medical expenses, education for children of illegals and incarceration for those who commit violent crimes..."
- Unemployment: "At the present time state unemployment is at a record high. Obviously this situation exists due in part to the worldwide recession we find ourselves in. Having said that state government has in fact exacerbated the problem by its onerous regulations, fees and taxes..."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Lew + Barnes + Oregon + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Filings for the House," accessed April 11, 2012
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Official Results for May 15 Primary election," accessed April 30, 2015
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Official General Results for 2012," accessed April 30, 2015
- Oregon Secretary of State, "2010 General Election Results," accessed April 30, 2015