Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky
This state official-related article is in the process of being updated.
|Kentucky Lieutenant Governor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Term limits:||2 consecutive terms|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Kentucky Constitution, Article 6, The Executive Department|
|Name:||Jerry E. Abramson|
|Assumed office:||December 13, 2011|
|Next election:||November 2015|
|Last election:||November 8, 2011|
|Other Kentucky Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Cabinet Secretary • Public Service Commission|
- See also: Current Lieutenant Governors
Under Article IV, Section 70:
The Governor and Lieutenant Governor shall be elected for the term of four years by the qualified voters of the State...
| 2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010 |
Lists of candidates
|Current Lt. Governors|
|Lt. Governor Elections|
|2013 • 2012 • 2011 • 2010|
A candidate for lieutenant governor is required to be:
- at least thirty years old
- have resided in the state for at least six years preceding the general election
Kentucky belongs to the handful of states that hold off-year elections, that is, elections in off-numbered years that are neither Presidential nor midterm years. In Kentucky's case, elections are held in the year after a midterm and before a Presidential; thus, 2007, 2011, 2015, and 2019 are all lieutenant gubernatorial election years. Legally, the inauguration is always held the fifth Tuesday after an election. Thus, December 13, 2011 and December 15, 2015 are inaugural days.
In the event of a tie, a joint session of the legislature shall cast ballots, as set out in § 90.
Details of vacancies are addressed under Article 6, Sections 85 and 87.
Anytime the office of the lieutenant governor is vacant, either because the Lieutenant Governor has become the Governor or because the Lieuteant Governor has died, resigned, or been removed, the President Pro Tem of the Senate is the first officer in the line of succession.
Should the Lieutenant Governor vacate her office without an available Senate President Pro Tem or while the General Assembly is in recess, the Attorney General is also responsible for convening the Senate for the purposes of choosing a new President, who can then becme the Acting Lieutenant Governor.
She has such other responsibilities and duties as the Governor shall assign or delegate, or as law may decree.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
- See also: Comparison of lieutenant gubernatorial salaries and Compensation of state executive officers
The lieutenant governor's pay is set by law and may not be increased or diminished effective during the current term.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky has not yet been added because we were unable to locate it on the relevant state official website or because the information currently provided is incomplete according to project guidelines. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Kentucky + "Lieutenant Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Gov. Beshear, leaders, break ground on Louisville Downtown Bridge - Louisville.com
- Louisville courts closing in on full e-subpoena system - The Courier-Journal
- Old National Names Skillman to Board - Inside INdiana Business (press release)
- The Unusual and Peculiar Office of Lieutenant Governor - Huffington Post (blog)
- The Search for the Magic Fig Leaf - Daily Caller
- DYCHE OPINION
- The Brief: Top Texas News for June 17, 2013 - Texas Tribune
- Mike Hashimoto: What to make of Ted Cruz trouncing Rick Perry in a ... - Dallas Morning News
- Ashley Judd Out, a Former Miss America May Challenge Mitch McConnell - Daily Beast
- Governor Morton's 'Finance Bureau' - New York Times (blog)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
700 Capitol Avenue, Suite 142
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
- Kentucky Lieutenant Governor Daniel Mongiardo
- Governor of Kentucky
- Kentucky Attorney General
- Kentucky Secretary of State