|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 34|
|2008 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 2007|
|Bachelor's||Texas Christian University|
Whittington is not running for re-election to the State House in 2015.
Whittington earned her B.A. from Texas Christian University. Her professional experience includes working as Executive Director of Communities in School, a non-profit organization.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Whittington served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Public Health and Human Services|
|• Youth and Family Affairs|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Whittington served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Constitution, Vice Chair|
|• Juvenile Justice|
On November 8, 2011, Whittington won re-election to District 34 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. She ran unopposed in the August 2 primary and was unchallenged in the November 8 general election.
On November 6, 2007, Whittington was re-elected in District 34, defeating Republican challenger Marvin J. Cochran.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 34 (2007)|
|Linda Whittington (D)||3,469||57.16%|
|Marvin J. Cochran (R)||2,600||42.84%|
In 2011, Whittington received $5,593 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Linda Whittington's campaign in 2011|
|Advance America Cash Advance||$250|
|Total Raised in 2011||$5,593|
|Total Votes received in 2011||5,370|
|Cost of each vote received||$1.04|
In 2007, Whittington collected $59,440 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to her campaign.
|Mississippi House Democratic Leadership||$12,000|
|Whittington, Linda J.||$9,000|
|Lawyers Involved for Mississippi Betterment||$7,500|
|Whittington Jr., C. Aven||$5,200|
|Mitchell, Ms. Cynthia I.||$1,200|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Whittington has been a member of Corroll County Economic Development, Economic Development Partnership of Montgomery County, Greenwood Chamber of Commerce, Greenwood-Leflore Count Chamber of Commerce, and the Leflore County Humane Society.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Linda + Whittington + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Whittington
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2011 Election Results," accessed March 23, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributions to Linda Whittington
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 34
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |