|Auburn Board of Directors, District 5|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of Washington|
Connors earned a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences from the University of Washington. She currently works as an administrative assistant for the CEO of Western Peterbilt. Connors has been involved with the Auburn High School PTSA and Auburn Youth Resources. She has three sons who are currently attending district schools.
- See also: Auburn School District elections (2013)
Connors sought a second full term on the board without opposition on November 5, 2013.
|Auburn Board of Directors, Four-year term, District 5, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Lisa Connors Incumbent||98.5%||10,663|
|Source: King County Elections, "Results," November 25, 2013|
Connors reported no contributions or expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
Connors ran in the 2012 election for Washington House of Representatives, District 31b. Connors ran unopposed in the August 7 blanket primary election and was defeated by incumbent Christopher Hurst (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Washington House of Representatives, District 31b, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Christopher Hurst Incumbent||55.3%||32,462|
Connors won a first full term on the board by defeating challenger Clarissa Ruston on November 3, 2009.
|Auburn Board of Directors, District 5, November 3, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Lisa Connors Incumbent||52.6%||7,267|
|Source: King County Elections|
|Auburn Board of Directors, District 5 General Election, 2-year term, 2007|
Connors provided the following statement for the 2013 Local Voters' Pamphlet in King County:
"As an active parent in the district, my priority is to provide an outstanding education for all students. My financial experience has helped me weigh financial decisions with student driven needs. By providing highly qualified teachers and a broad range of opportunities, we give our students the ability to achieve their goals.
I currently serve on the Legislative, Student Achievement, Capital Projects, and Board Policy sub-committees and have been actively involved in the creation of the Auburn Public Schools Foundation. My education, community involvement, and business experience makes me a qualified candidate for this position. I have served on the school board for 6 years seeing unprecedented academic success. I look forward to implementing our current strategic plan. I would appreciate your vote!"
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What's at stake?
Laurie Bishop ran without opposition for the District 3 seat currently held by Janice Nelson, who did not file for re-election. Connors won another term on the board in District 4 without opposition.
About the district
- See also: Auburn School District, Washington
Auburn lags behind state averages for higher education achievement, median income and poverty. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (21.9%) surpassed the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Auburn's median income at $56,677 while the state median income was $58,890. Auburn had a poverty rate of 13.6% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Lisa + Connors + Auburn + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Auburn School District elections (2013)
- Auburn School District, Washington
- Washington House of Representatives elections, 2012
- District page
- 2013 Local Voters' Pamphlet profile
- LinkedIn page
- 2012 campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- LinkedIn, "Lisa Connors," accessed September 30, 2013
- King County Elections, "Local Voters' Pamphlet," accessed September 30, 2013
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," accessed December 17, 2013
- C-SPAN, "AP Election Results - Washington State House of Representatives," accessed August 7, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Candidates
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Auburn," accessed September 30, 2013
- King County Elections, "Election Archive," accessed September 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014