List of Maine ballot measures
|Laws • History|
|List of measures|
- Indirect initiated state statutes, which earn a spot on the ballot when sponsors collect signatures according to the laws governing the initiative process in Maine. In Maine, which became the first state east of the Mississippi to adopt a constitutional provision for statewide initiative in 1908, all initiatives are indirect.
- Veto referenda. When citizens of Maine disagree with a statute or legislative bill enacted by the state legislature, they can collect signatures to force the issue to a vote. If enough signatures are collected, the bill is placed on the statewide ballot. In Maine, the veto referendum process is known as the "People's Veto." Twenty-seven such measures have appeared on Maine ballots, from the first in 1910 to the most recent in 2008. See List of People's Veto ballot measures in Maine.
- Legislatively-referred constitutional amendments. These are voted onto the ballot when both houses of the Maine State Legislature agree to put them on the ballot by a 2/3rds vote. See List of amendments to the Maine Constitution.
- Bonding propositions placed on the ballot by the state legislature.
- Legislatively-referred state statutes. Appears on a state's ballot as a ballot measure because the state legislature in that state voted to put it before the voters.
See also: History of Initiative & Referendum in Maine.
- List of all Maine initiatives from 1911-present, provided by the Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- List of all People's Vetoes from 1909-present.
- List of all Maine referenda from 1915-present, provided by the Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
- Constitutional amendments from 1834-present.
- Votes on Maine bond issues
- Maine election results 1990-present
- Maine's initiative process
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |
Freedom of Access Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |