Local Ballot Initiatives: How citizens change laws with clipboards, conversations, and campaigns
Local Ballot Initiatives: How citizens change laws with clipboards, conversations, and campaigns by Leslie Graves was published by the Lucy Burns Institute on November 12, 2012. You can download a free .pdf version of the book online.
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
Accountability in Brea, California
- What is a local ballot measure?
- Why do people use the local ballot initiative process?
- Charter cities and general law cities
- Do other types of government offer I&R?
- What do local activists need to know about city-wide initiatives?
- Understanding the steps in the ballot initiative process
- Details on the steps in the process
- Calculating if the number of signatures gathered changes the election date
- Determining the petition circulation period
- Understanding the official ballot text
- Understanding the proper format for the petition itself
- Training your circulators
- Be aware of circulator requirements
- Collecting signature sheets during the petition drive
- Submitting your signatures
- Honoring your campaign finance filing and reporting obligations