Local voters deciding the fate of a $50 million pier project, parcel taxes, a bond issue and an alternative expenditure measure in August 27 election
By Josh Alticreferendum to let the voters decide if the construction of the new pier is to continue. The election being held on August 27, 2013, will determine whether to terminate the Michael Maltzan Architecture contract for the new pier called "the Lens" or to let it continue as the council's ordinance determines. A yes vote on this referendum cancels the contract to build the new Lens pier. A no vote supports the city council's contract and allows the Lens pier construction to go forward.
Michael Maltzan Architecture is a Los Angeles based firm "committed to the creation of progressive, transformative experiences that chart new trajectories for architecture, urbanism, and the public realm." The city council chose the lens design of Michael Maltzan Architecture over two other project finalist bidders: "The Wave" by Bjarke Ingels Group and "The People's Pier" by West 8 Urban Design and Landscape Architecture. For images of the Lens project and the other two designs that were rejected click here.
This question along with several other measures across three states, including parcel taxes and a bond measure in California, an alternative expenditure question in Arizona and village annexation question in Florida, are being decided by local voters today.
For full coverage of the August 27, 2013 elections in Arizona, Florida and California visit this page. Election results will be reported as they are made available, beginning at approximately 8:00 pm.
- Local ballot measure elections in 2013
- St. Petersburg Referendum Question Terminating the Michael Maltzan Lens Pier Design (August 2013)
- Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections website
- Concerned Citizens of St. Petersburg "Stop the Lens" website
- Build the Lens facebook page
- Pier Design information from the City of St. Petersburg
- The New Architizer website, Michael Maltzan Architecture profile
- St. Petersburg August 27, 2013 election sample ballot
- Tampa Bay Times, "St. Petersburg council leaves Lens decision to voters," June 20, 2013
- The Tampa Tribune, "New group forms to support St. Pete's Lens project," July 5, 2013
- Saint Petersburg 10News, "St. Pete pier finalists' design proposals," November 30, 2011