|Florida House of Representatives District 107|
|2006 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Associate's||Miami-Dade Community College (1990)|
|Other||National Fire Academy (1997)|
|Birthday||December 8, 1945|
|Place of birth||Marianao, Cuba|
|Profession||Fire Chief (retired)|
Garcia was a 2012 Democratic candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 25th Congressional District of Florida. While he indicated he would run in 2012, on April 3, 2012, Garcia dropped out of the race over a dispute with Democratic leaders.
Garcia's professional experience includes working as a fire chief.
He serves on the Executive Board of the American Cancer Society, Vice Chair of the Florida Democratic Party, Executive Board of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau of the Miami-Dade County Fire Chief Officers and on the Executive Board of the Miami Heart Institute.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Garcia served on these committees:
- Everglades Oversight
- State Affairs, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Subcommittee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Federal Affairs
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Garcia served on these committees:
- Criminal & Civil Justice Policy Council
- Everglades Oversight Committee, Florida State Legislature
- Public Safety & Domestic Security Policy Committee (Ranking Minority Member)
- State Universities & Private Colleges Appropriations Committee
Garcia did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Garcia's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 545 - "Use of Lights on Motor Vehicles: Authorizes vehicles owned, operated, or leased by any county correctional agency to show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies."
- HB 1211 - "Juvenile Justice: Provides eligibility for certain services for children 9 years of age or younger at time of referral for delinquency"
- HB 1323 - "School Districts: Provides for recall of district school board members; provides requirements for petition for recall, signature process, & recall election"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- Creating Sustainable Jobs
- Achieving Economic Stability
- Protecting Our Seniors
- Securing A Better Future for Our Kids
- Restoring Honesty & Integrity
Garcia was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Florida's 25th District. Garica sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline was May 7, 2012, with the primary taking place on August 14, 2012. Incumbent David Rivera is seeking re-election on the Republican ticket.
Garcia ran for re-election to the 107th District seat in 2010. He did not have any opposition in the August 24 primary. Garcia defeated Gustavo Barreiro (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Florida House of Representatives, District 107 |
2010 General election results
|Luis Garcia (D)||13,221||51.0%|
|Gustavo Barreiro (R)||12,714||49.0%|
On November 4, 2008, Garcia won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 107th District, defeating Jorge Lopez (R). Garcia received 22,704 votes in the election while Lopez received 18,281 votes. Garcia raised $326,917 for his campaign; Lopez raised $522,807.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 107|
|Luis Garcia (D)||22,704||55.4%|
|Jorge Lopez (R)||18,281||44.6%|
In 2010, Garcia raised $245,002 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Florida Democratic Party||$71,489|
|Dade County Classroom Teachers Association||$3,000|
|Southern Gardens Citrus Holding Corp||$2,500|
|Florida Hospital Association||$2,250|
Below are Garcia's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|FL Democratic Party||$75,537|
|Hospital Corporation of America||$3,500|
|FL Police Benevolent Assoc||$3,000|
|Dade County Classroom Teachers Assoc||$3,000|
|FL Hospital Assoc||$2,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Luis + Garcia + Florida + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Campaign Website 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed December 18, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue positions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Luis Garcia for Congress 2012 "Issues" accessed January 2, 2012
- Politico, "Luis Garcia to challenge David Rivera" accessed December 3, 2011
- Miami Herald, "Garica Quits Congressional Race" accessed May 3, 2012 (dead link)
- Florida Election Watch, "2010 Election results," accessed December 18, 2014
- Florida Department of Elections, "Florida House Official Election Results," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2008 Contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 107
| Succeeded by|
Barbara A. Watson (D)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |