For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Madison County, Alabama
Last rated on October 1, 2012.
- Some budget information is posted, but is not up to date.
- Meeting dates and agendas are posted.
- County Commissioners are listed along with contact information.
- Contact information for the Administrative Departments and key staff is provided.
- Building permits, forms, codes and associated costs are available..
- Tax information is provided and there is a way to pay property taxes online
- Open bids are posted. 
- No meeting minutes are posted.
- No audits, contracts, or taxpayer funded lobbying expenses are listed.
- No information is provided on how to request public records using the Alabama Public Records Law.
Madison County is governed by a County Commission composed of a Chairman and six Commissioners. The Chairman is elected "at-large" by voters of the entire county, while each commissioner is elected per district. Elections occur every four years, with the next one coming up in 2012.
|Mike Gillespie, Chairman||At-Large|
|Roger Jones||District 1|
|Faye Dyer||District 2|
|Jerry Craig||District 3|
|Dale W. Strong||District 4|
|Mo Brooks||District 5|
|Robert C. Harrison||District 6|
Other Elected Officials
|Robert L. Broussard||District Attorney|
|Mark Craig||License Director|
|Fran Hamilton||Tax Assessor|
|Lynda Hall||Tax Collector|
|Don Hackney||Fire Marshal|
|Richard G. Grace||Director of Public Works|
|Ronnie Elliott||Director of Recreation Department|
|John Morring||Director of Sanitation Department|
|Fritz Mucke||Director of Water Department|
Budget and Spending
The latest year with known appropriations is the 2009-2010 fiscal year which was set at $111,922,764. The latest fiscal year with a breakdown of expenditure categories is the 2008-2009 fiscal year. The top expense categories were "General Government" (31.5%), "Public Safety" (27.1%), and "Highways and Roads" (13.4%). The County Commission has recently been struggling in curtailing overtime pay abuses. In speaking about one county employee, Commissioner Faye Dyer stated "I don't buy 50 hours of overtime by this person last pay period. I'm sorry this is not happening."
The Madison County Water Department last year ran a $1.3 million deficit. In response, it has proposed increasing water rates.
Madison County has its own Fire Department, and contracts out services to nearby jurisdictions that have requested coverage. The 911 call center has recently raised phone rates in response to new equipment needs.
- Madison County website
- History of Madison County
- Madison County on E-Reference
- Huntsville/Madison County Convention and Visitor's Bureau
- Madison County School District
- A Smart Place, Madison County
- Madison County Emergency Management Agency
- Budget and taxes
- County Commission Agendas
- Commissioners select Commissioner from the "Madison County" menu in the upper left
- Property taxes, Sales tax
- Election Chart
- AL.Com Former Madison County License Department employee, Amanda Houk, found guilty of stealing from department, Feb. 15, 2011
- WAFF48 News Madison County Commission votes down time management system, Feb. 07, 2011
- WAFF48 News Madison County Commission fighting overtime pay, Feb. 2, 2011
- AL.Com Madison County water customers could see 48 percent rate increase, Feb. 12, 2011
- Fire Marshal
- AL.Com Watchdog report: 911 Center upgrades mean higher phone bills starting this summer, Feb. 17, 2011