Maine 1981 ballot measures
November 3, 1981 ballot in Maine.Ten statewide ballot measures were on the
- Three of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- One of the measures was an initiated state statute.
- Six of the measures were legislatively-referred bond questions.
- Seven of the measures were approved and three were defeated.
On the ballot
|IndISS||Maine Energy Commission Question||Utilities||Creates a Maine Energy Commission|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 1||Development||Issues $33.3 million in bonds for agricultural and economic development|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 2||Transportation||Issues $12.3 million for bridge and highway improvements|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 3||Energy||Issues $2 million for energy conservation improvements to state-owned buildings|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 4||Forests & Parks||Issues $1.5 million for the development of state parks facilities|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 5||Local Gov't||Issues $1 million in bonds to assist municipalities with solid waste for resource conservation|
|BI||Referendum Question No. 6||Media||Issues $600,000 in bonds to replace equipment at the Maine Public Broadcasting Network|
|Proposed Constitutional Amendment No. 1||Direct Democracy||Places one-year validity limit on initiative petition signatures|
|Proposed Constitutional Amendment No. 2||Legislatures||Requires candidates for house to reside in the district they represent|
|Proposed Constitutional Amendment No. 3||Bonds||Decreases the bonding limit of the Maine School Building Authority to $6 million|
- The Lewiston Journal, "State of Maine Special Election November 3, 1981: Important Notice to All Voters of the State of Maine," September 16, 1980
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills 1980-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Proposed Constitutional Amendments 1820-