Maine 1983 ballot measures
November 8, 1983 ballot in Maine.Eight statewide ballot measures were on the
- One of the measures was an indirect initiated state statute.
- Four of the measures were legislatively-referred bond questions.
- Three of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Five of the measures were approved and three were defeated.
On the ballot
|IndISS||Initiative 1||Hunt & Fish||Repeals state moose hunting season|
|BI||Bond Issue 2||Bonds||Issues $720,000 to make county courthouses handicap accessible|
|BI||Bond Issue 3||Transportation||Issues $24.6 million in bonds for bridge and highway improvements|
|BI||Bond Issue 4||Bonds||Issues $21,094,000 in bonds for several state and municipality facilities projects|
|BI||Bond Issue 5||Development||Issues $11,875,000 in bonds for a variety of economic development projects|
|Constitutional Amendment 6||Taxes||Allows a property tax exemption for watercraft without reimbursement of municipalities|
|Constitutional Amendment 7||Gov't Finance||Requires two-thirds vote of legislature for expenditures of principle of Mining Excise Tax Trust Fund|
|Constitutional Amendment 8||Resources||Changes municipal property tax loss reimbursement provisions including exemptions or credits for unextracted minerals|
- Bangor Daily News, "State of Maine Special Election November 8, 1983: Important Notice to All Voters of the State of Maine," November 1, 1983
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills 1980-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Proposed Constitutional Amendments 1820-